Proper procedure to remove Buttstock Detent?

Anything MG42 related.
MarkoStefano
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Proper procedure to remove Buttstock Detent?

Post by MarkoStefano »

New member here! This is a fantastic Forum! I recently obtained a Yugo M53 parts kit from Apex and Rear Receiver parts from BRP. I want to strip the black paint from the Buttstock, and I am thinking it should be done with all the associated hardware removed. Am I right in assuming that there must be a proper way to remove the detent button? That way I could then access the large nut holding the metal liner and bolt? Or do most of you just clean the cosmo off with kerosene, and strip the paint with all the metal parts still in place? Thanks to all that can provide this info or advice! :D
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Proper procedure to remove Buttstock Detent?

Post by JBaum »

There is a thin flat washer inside which needs straightened (flattened) because it holds the small nut for the button from turning inside the cup. Once the washer is flat, unscrew the nut and you can take out the button. Then unscrew the main bolt and the metal cup will come out (perhaps with some difficulty, but it will come out).

It is not necessary to remove the metal to refinish the wood, but it would make the job easier.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
MarkoStefano
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by MarkoStefano »

Thanks John! Was able to get that all apart today! The safety washer- is it the tabs that should be bent upwards to encapsulate the nut on the detent shaft? Because on this one those were still flat, but the edges of the round washer were bent sort of upwards. Once I got my 10mm open end wrench on the nut it turned, flattening the bent-up areas. Just wanted to know so that when I reassemble, I don't bend the wrong features!
By the way, I am using CitrusStrip to remove the black pack. I put it on thick then place the stock into a heavy plastic pouch. Seems to be working-slow but sure!
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The bent edges of the thin washer act as a lock washer to keep the nut from turning. Bend them up when you reassemble.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com