Anything MG42 related.
DaniCele
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 Booster Cone

Post by DaniCele »

Hi All

First post here with a question for the experts please.

Is this Booster Cone WW2 made or postwar?

Also what are those 5 numbers? Postwar BH? or wartime?

Sorry for the bad photos.

Thanks a lot

Daniele
Attachments
IMG_9109.JPG
IMG_9108.JPG
IMG_9106.JPG
DSCF3209.JPG
DSCF3208.JPG
buffer cone.JPG
DaniCele
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Re: MG42 Booster Cone

Post by DaniCele »

Please Mods change the title to Booster Cone, not Buffer, that was typo mistake sorry
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Message #1 edited as requested.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
DaniCele
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by DaniCele »

Nobody at all can give an opinion please?
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Hello Daniele,
The photos that you posted are of a standard MG42 Booster-Cup/"Nozzle".......it may or may not be WWII. If of WWII manufacture, it was later marked/engraved with the weapon serial-number.

As to your second question, the numbers engraved on this part seem to be of "Post-War" design.......as WWII markings would show up to 4-digits and a "lower-case" letter on large Parts/Assemblies. I would tend to believe that it may well be of Post-War "Yugo" use.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
DaniCele
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by DaniCele »

Hi Richard

Thank you very much,

Could this part or the Barrel Guide be marked with a Waffenamt as well sometimes?

Thanks again

Daniele
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I never saw a booster nozzle or barrel guide waffenamt, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been done. It would be a disadvantage to stamp either part, as it just adds another crevice to accumulate powder residue and gum up the works.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
DaniCele
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by DaniCele »

I was offered this with WaA11 for Maget I might buy to replace my Austrian KAFF marked barrel guide.
Attachments
bbb.JPG
bb.JPG
b.JPG
bbbbb.JPG
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Hello again Daniele,
I will post a couple of photos of MG42 Barrel-Bearings and MG42 Booster-Cups/"Nozzles" from the French MG-Board located at:
http://mg34mg42.forumactif.org

As the photos show.....some of the earlier MG42 parts were "inspected" and "stamped".
Also note that there are two (2) different Barrel-Bearing "lengths" for the WWII MG42.
As the "war" progressed......less on these weapons was "stamped".

As far as different size holes on the Booster-Cups/"Nozzles"........I have two in my collection that are Waffenampted.......one has a 10mm exit-hole and the other has an 11.5mm exit-hole. The "French" MG-Board talks about these different sizes and their manufacture/use. My French is not very good.....but what I can gather from them is that the 10mm was used in 1942 into 1943(?).....and then the 11.5mm came into being manufactured in later 1943. These sizes and dates seem to correspond with what Folke takes about in his book on the MG34 and MG42 as the Germans tried to slow down the rate of fire to a more manageable rate.
In Musgrave's (spelling-?) book on German Machineguns......he talks only very briefly about early MG42s having four different styles/sizes of Barrel-Bearings and Booster-Cups/"Nozzles"....and that some would not work with others (compatibility).

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
Attachments
MG42-Barrel-Bearings-7.jpg
MG42-Booster-Cup-2.jpg
MG42-Barrel-Bearings-4.jpg
DaniCele
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by DaniCele »

Thank you very much Richard, That s great info. I also have the Folke Myrvang s books.
I did not know that a barrel guide size could change the rate of fire of the MG.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Hello again Daniele,
What you are calling a "Barrel-Guide", I am guessing is the Barrel-Bearing.......this came in two different length (not hole-sizes). The longer Barrel-Bearing held the pressure inside the Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" a split-second longer than the shorter Barrel-Bearing.

The Booster-Cups/"Nozzles" came with different size forward exit-holes. Again, the two WWII German Waffenampt Booster-Cups/"Nozzles" in my collection are at 10mm and the other at 11.5mm.

Now.....there will be some Board-Members that will tell you that different length Barrel-Bearings do not exist.......(look at the photos above being measured in CM/MM not "inches"), and then that they were not used for what I suggest is for lowering the rate-of-fire and/or to lessen the speed of recoiling-parts (such as the Barrel-Assembly and/or Bolt-Assembly during recoil.), during the "timed-release" of excess-pressure inside the Booster-Cup/"Nozzle" for weapon operation. I'll let you decide.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired