Need Help converting Wise Lite Gen 2 to 308

Anything MG42 related.
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Need Help converting Wise Lite Gen 2 to 308

Post by radar645 »

Again Thanks to everyone for your input.
As I stated earlier this MG42 semi is a whole new animal. I have built several semi 1919A4 and have never had near the problems. I did call Wise-Lite Arms and did talk to them about the issues with the 308 conversion and they pretty much said I needed to go to a smaller booster cone. Although he did say it sounded like I was very close to functioning properly. Which leads me to believe I just need a little more back pressure. I would think the British Radway ammo would have enough power, I also tried some Chinese 308 steel case ammo I had laying around from years ago and some German 308 same results with all. I was thinking of loading some hotter 308 loads and trying them or increase the the bullet weight to something heavier ( maybe 168grs to 190grs. but that would be match bullets and way too expensive to use for blasting ) I'm considering your suggestion of get several recoil springs and shorting the length a little at a time. Last I guess I could purchase some more Romanian steel case 8mm ammo and run 1,000 rounds through it and see if that loosens it up. At least I have some options, I have put out some requests for a 9.5mm booster cone, no answers yet. I will say this site is the most helpful I have ever come across and I really do appreciate each of your inputs, Thanks again
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by radar645 »

Located a 9.5mm booster cone from Wise-Lite, waiting for it to arrive.
Will let the site know what happens when I test it . :wnana:
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by radar645 »

Hello Again
Was able to get to the range today and try out the 9.5mm booster cone. No LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!
This thing is starting to frustrate me, same thing the gun will fire eject the round and load a new round, but the hammer is not cocked and I get ever so light primer strikes. The oiled the belts this time tried different links still the same problem.
I'm trying to picture in my head what is taking place, but I can;t understand how the bolt can eject the empty case and not cock the hammer it seems like the hammer is following the bolt home. Is there something I'm missing ? Again any advise is appreciated, Thanks
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Is the recoil spring binding when the bolt recoils? What type of trigger assembly do you have (AR15 style?)

I'll guess your light primer strikes aren't strikes at all, just the results of the hammer following the bolt forward, leaving a slight firing pin mark on the primer.

It the empty shell ejects, and the hammer follows the firing pin/bolt forward, the hammer isn't being caught by the disconnector. Whether that's caused by the bolt or the disconnector is for you to figure out.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by radar645 »

Well I guess it's back to square one. I'll check the recoil spring , being that it looks like Wise Lite did cut the spring shorter than a standard full auto spring. Again that thanks John for your input.
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

A few things:
If there is not enough clearance between the hammer and bolt it can cause the hammer to bounce on the trigger.

Also be sure its not bottoming out and the back of the hammer may be too long so the hammer will bounce. There may not be enough relief cut into the hammer for the disconnecter. When the hammer comes down it is hitting the disconnecter causing it to unlock the bolt.

Here is a pic of my BRP (AR type) hammer I used on my build. Notice the relief grinding I did on the radius, front and rear tail compared to when it was new (first pic is unmodified). Mine bottomed out requiring me to grind some off the tail of the hammer and the top of the disconnector hook if you compare the before and the two after pics.

Every one of these semi builds are different to some degree which is why the tuning phase can be so tricky. US receivers vary, making the height/grip stick to bolt relationship vary so you may have to experiment and study it to see what's needed for yours.

I'm not saying to copy my mods exactly because that might take too much off of yours, but rather this is to give you an idea on what could be an issue.

Before
after

One more thing...oddly enough, sometimes too small of a booster can cause the bolt to move backwards way too fast. The hammer will bounce off of the trigger and not lock. Try moving up a size or two in booster noozle size if all else checks out.

I should note too that IMO It still seems odd that yours runs in 8mm ok, so with that in mind there can't be too much wrong in need of modifying.
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by radar645 »

Thanks for the post I appreciate it, will try your suggestions and let you know what happens
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by radar645 »

Yahoo !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wnana:
Went to the range today and discovered that the disconnector was sticking and holding the trigger back each time I fired a round. Took the trigger housing off and played with it and oiled the heck out of it now it works.
Although it still will stick every now and then holding the hammer back even through I have released the trigger. But at least I now know the problem, and was able to fire off 40 rounds without any issues.
My next question is will a : BRP Corp Semi-Auto Grip Stick work in my Wise-Lite gun. It seems to be be better set-up ? Again thanks to everyone for your help
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Glad to see you found the cause of the problem.
As to it sticking, if oiling is helping, then it might just need broke in.

Also, check to make sure the disconnector spring is installed correctly too (thick end down).

I'm still wondering if the bottom tail (the claw part) of the hammer is hitting the diconnector and jamming it. Look for signs of that (shiny mark).

One thing to keep an eye on is your hammer and trigger pins breaking which this design is noted for. Sometimes they can break and it is barely noticable but can cause all sorts of FCG issues. They take a beating in these semi grip sticks, more than they were ever designed for in an AR.

I upgraded both of mine to KNS pins which have held so far, just don't over tighten then or you can cause binding.

On the question of putting a BRP grip stick on your Wiselite, the short answer is no they will not interchange. That is unless you do some modding/welding as they attach differently in the front.

Here is a post in this thread answering that question with pics showing the differences; http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=133 ... 336#p95336