Need help with my new Gen 2 Wise Lite M53

Anything MG42 related.
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Need help with my new Gen 2 Wise Lite M53

Post by radar645 »

Switched calibers on my Wise Lite Yugo M53 today. Using a conversion kit from RTG parts. in 308.using Radway Green British surplus ammo
The gun fired the first two rounds and then the top cover popped open and the fired round did not eject jamming the 3rd round trying to feed. I was using the deluxe kit (robertrtg.com/store/pc/MG3-308-CONVERSION-DELUXE-KIT-142p2477.htm) When cycling the gun manually by pulling the bolt back and letting it hit home on the 3rd try the feed cover always pops open. Any help is appreciated , Thanks
I don't have a lot of 8mm so I tried the gun with the 308 conversion at the start.
Also really not happy with the wood painted green butt-stock that has several cracks in it, can this be changed out by using the butt-stock listed in RTG parts ?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need help with my new Gen 2 Wise Lite M53

Post by JBaum »

RE: buttstock
If your buffer is Yugo, it needs a Yugo buttstock cup to fit to it, as the threads are different on a German buttstock. If you change the cup on a German buttstock to use the Yugo cup, it should work.

If you open and close the top cover after firing each round, does it still pop open on the third round? Maybe it needs some adjustment on the latch surface (file or Dremel tool) to get it to stay closed. Compare angles on the 308 latch with angles on the original cover latch.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

The Wise Lite Gen 2 receiver is 1 inch longer..... Did you add the buffer extension???? This is required for proper function. I did not have luck using the 8mm buffer firing 308 ammo. The 308 ammo seemed to recoil harder damaging my bolt..
Attachments
1a.jpg
2a.jpg
3a.jpg
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Check to make sure the feedtray is seating properly, perhaps this is keeping your top cover from closing correctly. With a US semi receiver you never know if its in spec or not.

Could be the metal is thicker on the WL's latching area keeping it from fully latching, again something to check.

Also make sure the cover's latch working correctly. I've seen covers where they needed to have the latched pulled back due to weak or gummed up latch springs.
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by radar645 »

First let me say thank you to all who replied, this site is awesome !
As for a buffer extension I believe after doing some research I have the Wise Lite one listed in another post. ( looks to be tapered ) I'm beginning to believe as stated above the catch on the 308 top cover is to small to completely latch onto the Wise Lite reciever which appears to be thicker .
John, picked up one your manuals on the MG3 helped a lot ,Thanks
Now I really want to change out that wooden butt-stock with a RTG German one, but still don't
understand how, what is the cup and how to I change it out, just a simple man Thanks
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The cup is the metal part of the buttstock, which attached itself and the stock to the back end of the gun on the interrupted threads of the buffer.

To take one apart, bend the thin sheetmetal washer inside the cup (it acts as a lock washer on the nut) so that it is flat and allows the nut to unscrew, then take the pushbutton assembly out of the cup. Remove the long screw in the end cap of the stock, and the cup will come out. Reverse the process for reassembly.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

So far as I know the cup on the bakeilte stocks can not be removed from the stock itself like the wood types, at least the ones I've handled. The two post war German bakelites I got from RTG had the cups molded into bakelite.

The easiest route for you would be to buy a German type buffer to use the German stock.

Though it is also possible to modify the threads which have a slightly different pitch in the German stock to fit the Yugo buffer. I did this on one by simply widening the threads slightly with a dremel/fiber cut-off wheel. There is a thread here on that mod if you do a search.
radar645
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by radar645 »

So I want to make sure I understand this correctly, if I purchase one of the German plastic stock and change out my Yugo buffer with a German MG3 buffer won't I still need to transfer the buffer extension off the Wise Lite Yugo one. And will it fit on the German buffer ? Thanks
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Yes, you would still need to put the extention on it due the WL receiver. It's pretty easy to do.

It's been a while and I don't have one in front of me, but I recall you just tap the pin out of the rear of the buffer, unscrew the long bolt, take it apart and swap the extended cap. You'll want to swap the long bolt as well as it has a hole drilled into for the semi auto firing pin relief.

The German buffer will have the cut out for the MG3 type recuperator, but that will have no effect on your 8mm type which is farther foward being that is shorter.

It should ne noted that sometimes buffers when used in a US receiver will need a slight amount of relief in order to fit (in could be too tight). If this seems to be the case, take a set of mics and measure your M53 buffer and modify the German one to match. It may drop right in, but it's worth mentioning.