Wiselite Receiver build

Anything MG42 related.
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Wiselite Receiver build

Post by messerschmittfan »

Folks, I have a M53 with a Wiselite receiver. Unlike the others I have had I cannot use it on any of my tripods, Yugo, WWII German or postwar MG3 models. The distance between the lugs at the rear of the pistol grip to the plate that hooks into the locking piece on the tripod is over an inch longer than the mount. Normally I only had to trim the plate a little but this one is way too long. Has anyone else had this problem and how did they solve it? How much longer is the Wiselite receiver over that of the MG42 or M53? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks Harry
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wiselite Receiver build

Post by JBaum »

Wiselite receivers were made longer to accommodate the full length recoil spring. As you have found out, they don't fit the lafettes because they are too long.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
JDiehl
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by JDiehl »

Thank you guys for the information. I have the wiselite receiver also. Guess I will spend a few hundred on something other than the lafette.

JDiehl
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

Thanks for the information, do you or anyone know how much longer? I am not adverse to modifying it and making it shorter so it will fit. It looks like they moved the FCG back from the original location. Thanks Harry
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

It should be noted that it actually depends on the time frame it was made.

Not all Wiselite receivers used a full length recoil spring and not all had the buffer extension and added length.

Mine is and early made WLA M53 (one of the first 25 made) and it fits the MG3 lafette tripod fine (grip stick and receiver over all length "normal", though maybe a half inch longer than stock, all in the rear most section) and uses a cut recoil spring and no extension on the buffer cap.

Thing is they revised designs over their run. Much like their firing pin (2 piece) changed quite a bit over the production run as well it it was refined. We see similar refinements in BRP parts over time as well.

Just like now Wiselite is making a Gen II all milled reciever that is drastically different than any of their prior offerings.
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

Just one more note, the new Wise Lite bolt group will only work with their trigger housing. There trigger housing is designed so the internals (hammer) sits lower.
mg42jamesw1
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by mg42jamesw1 »

My m53 FA receiver is 37 5/8" and will fit the WW2 ground tripod but will not fit the MG3 tripod. The MG3 tripod has about 1/8" shorter mounts than the WW2 ground mount tripod. Not sure if anyone else noticed this. I assume I should elongate the MG3 tripods mounts rather than shorten the m53 mounting brackets. The m53 receiver mounting brackets are 16" apart vs. 15 7/8" for the MG3 tripod.
mg42jamesw1
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by mg42jamesw1 »

Just a quick update. My MG3 tripod had slightly bent recoil tubes. A large pipe wrench fixed it so the gun fits the cradle and the recoil springs work fine. Looking for a gun release latch if anyone knows where to find one.