Need some input on a transferable MG42

Anything MG42 related.
Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Need some input on a transferable MG42

Post by Jaredrlewman »

Recently secured a transferable MG42 from an estate. The original paperwork was lost in the mans papers. It is legit and currently being transferred to us on a form 4. I can see absolutely no signs of any welding on the receiver at all. Everything I can find about original German receivers is spot on with this gun. Every detail points to being an original German gun including about 16 waffen stamps on the varius parts and receiver. The only part that is a mystery is the serial number. It is not a war time number even though the rest of the gun is spot on with war time guns. It is a 6 digit number on the receiver. Its marked NC MG42 serial# CRA. Registered by DLO from the marking on the underside of receiver. It's been Parkerized. Gun will be going up for sale as soon as the transfer to our books is completed. Just looking to get some info on it. Photos available when I'm in front of the computer and not on my phone.
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Need some input on a transferable MG42

Post by Roscoeturner »

With the DLO marking on the underside it is probably not a C&R.
“Never speak in absolutes when speaking of history, you may be proved wrong with the next spade of dirt or turn of the page.”
Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Jaredrlewman »

Here are a couple photos of the gun, many more proof marks on various parts but these are the main ones.

Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Jaredrlewman »

Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Jaredrlewman »

Markings:
Booster - duv
Bi-pod - 2 waffens, dqc, 773
Barrel Shroud - bpr, either a 7 or 4 not sure
caming piece - 9767O, ar, 3, v8 8v, waffen
Top cover - bpr
Feed tray - waffen, 1566, 2874
Rear of receiver - 2 waffens
bolt - Waffen, 6799, LE, 8 with crest
Charging assembly - 2423e, bpr, waffen
grip - waffen
rear buffer release - bpr
grip mount - bpr, waffen
inside barrel door - ehs on either side, what looks like a 7 or 4
these are the ones I saw on my first inspection, Im sure there are more
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Jaredrlewman,
Your MG42 sounds like one that "DLO" "manufacture" prior to the Ban in 1986 (by the DLO marking and six-digit serial-number. He is still in business down in FL......and I believe that you can find his contact information over in one of his NFA-For-Sale......or NFA-Parts-For-Sale Boards on the SubGuns.com-Board.

What BATF Registration Form was the gun last/now registered on (?).

Gun sounds like it would make a good "shooter" (not being C&R, and refinished).......and I might be interested in it as such if priced accordingly.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@outlook.com
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bmg17a1 »

Definitely a DLO remanufactured and registered MG42. I have brokered several of DLOs reman 42s in the last ten years. Reman 42s are actually quite scarce, which is unfortunate simply because the guns are so popular and remans are less valuable and can be repaired/reblued, etc without damaging the value. Having repaired dozens of C+R 42s, it is always a bit sad to realize that owners will shoot these historic pieces often using aged and dangerous ammo, or fail to install the bolt catch, and other behavior that results in serious damage to the receivers.
Familiarize yourself with the bolt catch, a small spring loaded device that installs into the bolt body. Do not shoot the gun without the bolt catch installed!!
Although such information is of not much value with a reman MG, if you ask DLO politely, he might look up his records of manufacture and tell you the period of manufacture and registration.
The correct finish is bluing, although the Germans also used a clear phosphate finish, Steyr in particular, to finish some of their guns. However that finish is nothing like parkerizing. In my opinion, having the gun refinished as reblued would be an improvement…..

Bob Naess
Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Jaredrlewman »

Bob, spoke to Doug. He said all the mg's he did went to you, as best he could remember. Doug only lives an hour from my current local. Was course to talk to but full of info, great speaking to the old timers of the trade.