Anything MG42 related.
MGDude
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Bluing or painting M53

Post by MGDude »

Hi,

New here, great forum especially the sticky on conversion to blank fire.

I have a M53 that has a lot of scratching etc on it, what is the best way to restore it back?
Looking for a at home solution, although i have read that cold bluing doesn't really work.

Cheers
MGDude.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: Bluing or painting M53

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Welcome to the forum and a great hobby :D

Everyone has opinions, I like the duracoat line. Nothing looks as nice as hot blue, I never experimented with rust bluing over weld but carding the inside of the receiver would not be fun, a strong durable option is duracoat. Beer, dirt, blood, it all beads right off and yes any weekend warrior can apply it w/o any special tools, compressors, spray guns, painting booth, etc....

Just shake well, and make sure you hang the parts (and secure them so they do not swing back and forth with the force of the special spray gadget they use) and spray horizontally just like you are tagging a bridge :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Depends on your goal and quality of the welding. I suggest parking it, then see what you want to do. no matter what you'll have to clean it spotless.
FNG
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

I have a buddy that builds for a living and he swears buy duracoat.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Those scratches on your M53 are HISTORY. Cherish them! Your gun was probably in the thick of a Balkan War shootout.
On whose side? Who knows?
Blueing doesn't usually "take" over the welds on a re-constructed receiver. This gives you the famous "tiger stripes", which you can rightfully be proud.
Parkerizing does, I believe, cover everything, but gives a rougher surface. One you parkerize it, of course, you should put a "couple" scratches on there so it doesn't look like a new toy.
Coatings (paint ) will make it look brand new, if that is the look you want, and cover all imperfections.

The M53 I have isn't blued like an MG42 receiver. It seems to have been originally very lightly parked.
Please post some pictures when you're finished!...Phil
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

When, When I finally get to mine, the plan is to park then duracoat over that.

Later 42rocker