Top cover opening after firing on M53

Anything MG42 related.
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Top cover opening after firing on M53

Post by bmwr12 »

I have a Wiselite M53 that had a Yugo top cover originally but I changed it out to a Mg42 Top cover. The gun works great except for when I switched the top covers out. The top cover is popping open when firing blanks. I have not fired live ammo with the WW2 top cover. Any ideas?
Folke
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Top cover opening after firing on M53

Post by Folke »

bmwr12 wrote:I have a Wiselite M53 that had a Yugo top cover originally but I changed it out to a Mg42 Top cover. The gun works great except for when I switched the top covers out. The top cover is popping open when firing blanks. I have not fired live ammo with the WW2 top cover. Any ideas?
The spring for the top cover latch is too weak. Blanks generate a lot more pressure than live rounds.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

The latch may not be fully engaging. M53 top covers vary in length compared to German ones. Sometimes you can't even get a swapped out top cover on. They are NOT truly interchangeable because of wild tolerances. If you get one that fits, you're lucky. If the cover is a bit short, perhaps your latch is not engaging and grabbing enough meat on the receiver. Take a closer look.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

+1 to what DA said. I'll bet it's not grabbing enough meat on the receiver. Does it click down really easy? If that is the problem, you can dab a little metal in with the Tig. If you don't have a welder, get a new top cover and hope you get one that either fits or is too tight. If it's too tight, just file the latch or the receiver to fit.