Are MG42 and MG3 Extractors Cut the Same....?

Anything MG42 related.
Blanksguy
General
General

Are MG42 and MG3 Extractors Cut the Same....?

Post by Blanksguy »

I was assisting one of the Forum members (mt4x4) with some of the challanges on his "built" FA M53, and had a quick question for anyone with quick access to spare-extractors for the MG42 and MG3....

Noting the difference in extractor-grooves cut into the 7.62x51mm shell-cases vs. the 8x57mm cases/amo that I have on hand................
......are both the MG42 and later MG3 extractors' "claws" cut for the same case (?).....or caliber-specific (?).

I know that the later bot-specific "retainers" are cut "round" vs. the earlier retainers being cut more of a square-style......just need information on the sizes/cuts on the "claws" that fit into the extractor-groove of the shell-case.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@outlook.com
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Re: Are MG42 and MG3 Extractors Cut the Same....?

Post by Der Alder »

Blanksguy wrote:I was assisting one of the Forum members (mt4x4) with some of the challanges on his "built" FA M53, and had a quick question for anyone with quick access to spare-extractors for the MG42 and MG3....

Noting the difference in extractor-grooves cut into the 7.62x51mm shell-cases vs. the 8x57mm cases/amo that I have on hand................
......are both the MG42 and later MG3 extractors' "claws" cut for the same case (?).....or caliber-specific (?).

I know that the later bot-specific "retainers" are cut "round" vs. the earlier retainers being cut more of a square-style......just need information on the sizes/cuts on the "claws" that fit into the extractor-groove of the shell-case.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@outlook.com
I got a couple of both types of out and looking at them both extractors they appear to be indentical (M53 left MG3 right).
mg42jamesw1
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Are MG42 and MG3 Extractors Cut the Same....?

Post by mg42jamesw1 »

I also had to replace a WW2 extractor on a WW2 bolt. I compared mg3, WW2 Nazi and M53 extractors and they not only looked the same but fired the same. If their are any differences I can't find it. The WW2 bolt now has a later MG3 extractor in it and it works fine with both 8mm and 7.62mm.