Should I serial number my home build?

Anything MG42 related.
ncreptile
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Should I serial number my home build?

Post by ncreptile »

Would you SN your home build Semi auto mg42? Sent it off to Bob naess for work and it sadly needed basically a complete redo. I am getting it back shortly.

Question though
Should I SN/Put my info on this gun? I plan on taking it to public gun ranges here and no doubt it will attract attention and I want to be 100% within the law.(I am a by the book/law person).

Considering this build was redone by bob and its a BRP parts home build(semi auto bits, reused a demilled german receiver). DO I need to put one on there or am I ok? And should I electro pencil it on or stamp it?

I know with AK's and most home builds a SN is not required unless you plan to sell(I dont, I do not want the liability, this one im keeping for life). And from my research it is the same with MG42's that are properly a semi auto design(and considering Bob Naess fine combed this one I am 100% confident everything is fine there).

Just want to be completely sure!

Thanks
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Should I serial number my home build?

Post by JBaum »

I don't think putting a serial number on the gun for selling it should be the main consideration for needing it done.

What if it is stolen? Telling the police that your gun is the one without the serial number will certainly not simplify its return if it gets recovered. You can't enter "none" in the serial number field to do a record search and get a hit on it. More likely it would get destroyed as being a gun without a serial number. How would you prove it's yours and get it returned?

If the original number is still visible or partially visible, restore that and it becomes the serial number. There isn't a full auto one with the same number (since you've used the receiver), and it's certainly not likely anyone else will use your number. Stamping your name on it (as the manufacturer) will finish the process and make it unique.

Considering it doesn't cost anything to name and number the gun, and the amount of trouble it could save you from, there's no reason to not do it.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Should I serial number my home build?

Post by 42rocker »

Good Words John Good Words.

Later 42rocker