Bolt Catch Question

Anything MG42 related.
czerka
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Bolt Catch Question

Post by czerka »

Just wondering which bolt catch version is best to use in a FA MG42/M53. The pre-war design seems to be more reliable but I had heard there were some drawbacks with using that one. Also I am wondering if the post war version I have is correct, the ones I have seen with the flat catch have the anti bounce spring that is flat on both ends.
Attachments
MG42 Bolt Catches.jpg
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Bolt Catch Question

Post by K98dkmauser »

both should work fine
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

i sure hope you are building a legal f/a mg42 because it could be 10 years if not
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

What are you calling pre war? there are no pre war bolt catches.......unless you're talking pre gulf war. Both of the units you've pictured came out after WWII. Read Folke Myrvangs book to see what was used during the war versus what came out after.

either of the pictured types should work. Just make sure you're not preloading the locking piece as that will cause excess wear.

Frank
czerka
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by czerka »

Yes it is legal I am an 07 SOt and I built the gun in 2010. I purchased the second from a site that had it listed as a post war version. I was told that there was a war time version and the one I have is from a Yugo kit. I just assumed that it was the war time model because I have seen both the later models.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

According to the manual, if you use the style with one flat end, the flat end goes toward the front in the bolt. The skinny end goes toward the rear.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com