Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Looking for welding repair help

Post by 42rocker »

So how is this going??

Later 42rocker
Kinger

Post by Kinger »

The overall length is short by 1/16". I need to lengthen slightly as the barrel fits very tight. I am going with my first instinct and will make three cuts... top, bottom and barrel door side. I am going to bend to straighten along a center line and re-weld. The front portion I will bend with a pipe, between two oaks or use the tracks on my tank. That is the plan, I purchased a Tig welder, I found a professional welder, now I just need to make a jig to help me keep the receiver centered. I'll post some pictures, hopefully right after New Years of the progress.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Good Luck

Later 42rocker
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

You can remove the nose bushing and make it longer too. If you cut the camming hole and make that longer, will it still fit with the camming piece itself?

Robert
marknct
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by marknct »

Bending it is only valid if the 3 points were on the same centerline and parallel when new. If they weren't, like this one, you're moving the problem around and using your running tolerance to achieve your assembly clearance. It might work but require more gas than an aligned gun. Your 3 points are the buffer bore, CS centerline and muzzle bushing bore. The second pic shows it hooking left but it could be left and up,etc. You need to find if any of it lines up before deciding what to do. There is a U tube vid showing slow motion firing of a FA 42. Watch that thing shake it's tail, that's misalignment. You need bushings to fit the ends and a CS adapter, and a piece of Thomson rod.
Attachments
DSC02006.JPG