MG42 banned?

Anything MG42 related.
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 banned?

Post by fritsch »

I just recieved 3 m53 kits from AA. I expected to build them over the next year or two, but it seams like my timeframe may be shortened by possible legislation.
I guess my question is, how was the SA MG42 affected by the "assault weapons ban" from 1994-2004? And if something passes that would alter our ability to build them in their current configuration, how long after it passes would it take to go into affect? I know these are open ended questions with a lot of variables affecting the answers, but I have to start somewhere.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG42 banned?

Post by JBaum »

My crystal ball says there are no answers to your questions about the future. Since you're not a licensed manufacturer, it would be impossible for someone to know exactly when a semi 42 was built anyway.

The assault weapon ban did not affect building a semi MG42.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

I love you jbaum. Always the voice of reason. Maybe I'm just worrying about things I shouldn't. I'd just like to know more about how the assault weapons ban affected homebuilders who built before the ban. Do you have to put a serial number and such on them and take them in and "register" them? Or is it more "home built for home purpose, so they dont care"? I just don't want a whole closet full of guns to become illegal.

Breaking it down, that does seam to make sence that the semi 42 wouldn't be affected. The belts we use were made long before the ban. It doesn't have a bayonet lug, colapsible stock, or threaded muzzle.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

I would think more about the only building one, part of home building before looking at the future.
That also said, seems like different styles etc get built going around above statement but. It's been stated several places as to what you need to put on a home build. I would do some search's on this on this site and others. You do not have to record in most areas in the US. Also I don't see them kicking down doors to take things in the next few years. So setting back with things in the closet might have to happen.
Good Luck with your builds.

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Having a serial number and manufacturer stamped in the gun somewhere isn't required, it's just a good idea. If the next door neighbor came up with one the same day yours went missing, how else would you prove it's yours?

Since there is no gun national gun registration, you'll need to follow local laws only. For most of us, that means there's nothing to do after a private, not-for-sale build.

shred
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by shred »

If (and it's a huge IF), another ban is like the last one, then you would be best off if you had some sort of proof you had the firearm in it's "evil" configuration prior to the ban. Witnesses, Photos, etc , whatever is better than nothing.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

If, and it's a big IF, we have a firearms ban like the last one, it won't make a bit of difference to making a semi-42, because nobody will know when it was built, because nobody will know you have it.

www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

But to your point, if a new AWB passes, and the momentum is frenetic, and if it is worded like the '94 ban, when it was illegal to "manufacture" an "assault weapon." it may be illegal.

Building a semi-automatic Mg42 during that period of the AWB, if it qualified as an "assault weapon" would have been afoul of the law.

However, everything Jbaum stated, as usual, is correct.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
cptdarling506

Post by cptdarling506 »

just love your country.
An insane person commits an insane act.
All the sane people go insane and punish the sane people
by making insane laws to prevent insane acts which is insanity.
Meanwhile the sales of guns and mags go insane!
Come to New Zealand,less insane,more stupid.
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

I think the best course of action for me to do is build them one at a time and stay away from that "manufacture" definition. If I don't get all of them done, !@#$% it, I'll have spare parts. I'll just document it with losts of pictures with date signatures and post my progress (you guys hate that kind of stuff, I know :).
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Good Luck. You can build as many semi auto parts as you want when you want. As I understand it. It's just the receiver and finishing the weapon. Therefore as I understand it you could work on as many semi auto bolts and clean up and finish up about anything that you want to have ready.
Idea on date stamping is good and sharing build photos is good as that also date stamps things.
Good Luck with everything.

Later 42rocker
shred
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by shred »

42rocker wrote:Good Luck. You can build as many semi auto parts as you want when you want. As I understand it. It's just the receiver and finishing the weapon. Therefore as I understand it you could work on as many semi auto bolts and clean up and finish up about anything that you want to have ready.
Idea on date stamping is good and sharing build photos is good as that also date stamps things.
Good Luck with everything.

Later 42rocker
A lot of people think "if I have the receiver pre-ban, I'm ok.". That wasn't true for the first AWB-- you could have all the pre-ban receivers you wanted, but if they weren't assembled into "Assualt" configurations before the ban, you could not legally assemble them into "Assualt" configurations during the ban years, so just having a pre-ban receiver was not enough.

Now who got into trouble for that? I have no idea.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

Lol! Lol! Good reality check. Nothing has passed, and if it does, it may not even resemble the AWB in the least. I'll get back to grinding.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

jbaum wrote:Here's a link to a related matter:

http://www.worldstory.net/en/stories/ch ... ittle.html

Anyone else hungry for some KFC after reading this :D

Yeah the receivers had to be assembled in the first AWB, e.g., prevented people from stamping out countless AKM receivers and selling them during the ban. Still if I were an 07, with the brains and resources, I would be going full bore b/c the storm is about to hit, and gun rights will be washed away, which makes me sick :puk:

Or maybe that was the KFC :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

All I can say that all of you who voted for ‘The One’ should have their heads checked and the rest of us we need to give a check to the NRA.

Robert
cptdarling506

Post by cptdarling506 »

From an outsiders view,your rights are being slowly rubber stamped away.
a death by a thousand paper cuts.
Your wannbe masters have learnt from previous mistakes by the past dictators
by the time the rest wake up, it will be to late for a second revolution.
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

i hope they don't ban the mg42
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by roadrunner »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30sjtuXcvOE[/video]

Check this out. Misinformation at its worst. Nothing like gungrabbers jumping the gun. so to speak. RR
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Question on just "weapon-receivers" during the '94-Assault-Weapons-Ban"....

Did the requirement to have them assembled into funtioning/completed weapons prior to enactment of the AWB-Law apply to both "Manufactures" and privately owned receivers (?).....or did it apply to only Manufacturers (?).
Please.......when you reply to this, attach a "link" to the "94-AWB" that shows how it applied. This will help us to sort out real-laws from individual guesses or what someone heard from someone else, etc..

Regards, RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net