Allegheny Arsenal

Anything MG42 related.
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Allegheny Arsenal

Post by fritsch »

It finally came! I got a little happy last night and cleaned off most of the slag and removed the rails before I took pictures. So remember that when you're looking at the photos.
I don't know a lot about what I'm looking at as this is my first MG42/53 build, but I do know the cut through the front bushing is nasty. How would you guys suggest approaching this? New BRP bushing or getting a front bushing saw cut off another rifle? The cut at the "trunion" hit one of the raised tabs that the trunion sits against. The rearmost cut saved one of the buffer tabs and I think I can save the other, so I don't believe I need new buffer tabs. The receiver appeared to be new when it was cut up and all the pieces came from the same receiver. No two other parts came from the same gun though. Top cover, feed tray, grip pack, trunion, barrel extension, bipod, etc, etc, all came from a different rifle.

So this is the kit AA has left. What do you guys think? Anything you can see that's going to cause serious headaches?
Attachments
P1130463.JPG
P1130468.JPG
P1130462.JPG
P1130460.JPG
P1130459.JPG
P1130458.JPG
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Well your ratchet plate can be salvaged if you wish, buffer tabs are easy to come by if the one has to go, the cam area (not "trunion" JBaum would not be happy to see that term used :lol: ) is viable but it will take extra work; that front, oh-yeah that is the way I remember the AA kits.

People I knew did the new bushing and carefully patched the bottom of the shroud. I am sure someone w/ the expertise and equipment could salvage it but for the average weekend warrior (like myself) those buffer bushing channels would have to line up perfect, no warp, or shrinkage, unless you have a machine/tool to ream them back true again. It will not be a cake walk, 3-cut Mg42 receivers do not readily appear anymore, this is what we have to work with; so go to it and post pics :D

Looking good so far :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Hauptgefreiter Fitsch, you have a potential semi-auto M53. What you have in your possession has a lot of history. It is directly decended from the MG42. May have seen action in the hands of soldiers of the Serbia-Bosnia war, on either side. It's in great condition. You have all the parts you need except a new front bushing and the special semi parts. Go slowly and carefully, learn all you can from the experienced guys on this site. Ask whatever questions you have. Take lots of pictures at each step. You're beginning a really cool adventure. The sad part is, someday you will finish it. It will be operational. Then, you'll have to get another one! Best of luck...Phil
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

fritsch
Glad to you see you got the kit and it does look nice. Good Luck with your build.

Later 42rocker
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

Mat at Alleghany Arsenal (MG34.com) was short and arrogant with me. Photo of their parts kit is so small and I wanted to be clear what I am getting for $800. He refused to get into details at all and just said kit is excellent.
I got the kit and it is missing whole buffer. Bolt is missing ejector rod and anti bounce spring. Called Mat, he did not believe me that buffer is missing, I kind of expected that reaction because I knew he is an arrogant person. He said he will send me another buffer but for bolt parts he will have to ask his boss.
I will report back what happens, I do have unboxing video.
Reason why these guys still have some of the hard to find parts may be because their customer service sucks.
I will make separate thread on my experience.
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

I have the same kit waiting to be built. I took it down the other day after moving three times and noticed a hole in the box.
Some little stuff had wandered away. I thought about calling A-A, but I got the couple of missing items pretty cheaply from RTG Parts. Phil
http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/MG42- ... iewAll=yes

Or combine your A-A kit with THIS:
http://www.royaltigerimports.com/produc ... 001-pk.htm
MG43001-PK-2T.jpg
MG43001-PK-2T.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

I got the booster and extractor leaf but he did not send me anti bounce spring and all Yugo bolts do come with it. What is the point of buying a parts kit where parts are missing? I have to say that Alleghany Arsenal service is horrible, now I have to spend $15 to get that spring just to have complete kit. So I was robbed of $15 by Allegheny Arsenal.