Need clear picture of Yugo M53 receiver markings.

Anything MG42 related.
TactAdv
Major
Major

Need clear picture of Yugo M53 receiver markings.

Post by TactAdv »

I am looking for a CLEAR picture of an original stamping on the Zastava M53 receiver showing all original markings......if someone, per chance, has a good section of DEMIL-ed receiver rear end that shows this that would work, but I am more hoping for a shot of one of the original uncut, unissued, M53's that Century imported and sold as Post-samples about two years ago.

Or, barring any of that, if anyone has found a clear picture online somewhere..... ;-)

-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
TactAdv
Major
Major

Re: Need clear picture of Yugo M53 receiver markings.

Post by TactAdv »

Never mind..... ;-)

longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

If you need any further pics of an uncut Yugo let me know and I can post some or email them. I can do the same for an MG42.
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

longhorn109 wrote:If you need any further pics of an uncut Yugo let me know and I can post some or email them. I can do the same for an MG42.
YES! Please post the M53 receiver markings.....though the cut one above is reasonably good, always better to have an original undamaged image. Thanks!

-TomH
dlbard
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by dlbard »

Yes! Please post more pics. I plan on duplicating some reciever markings on my rebuild when its done.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Always looking for pic of mg42 rear markings.

Later 42rocker
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

OK I will dig out my external hdd and see what I have on it. I will take some extra pics if needed.

I just had a look at my old pics and they are a bit rubbish. I will dig my babies out later on and take pics of all the markings I can find on them.
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

A couple of pics here. The strange look to the metal is caused by paint!. I tried something and it didn't work and now I have a white smear on the side of the gun. Same goes for the top cover but I used one of those paint stick things this time, but there is too much to fill in and it looked a mess.

Only just noticed that there are matching serial numbers.

Sorry they are not better but I fell asleep in front of the TV again and woke up at 1:30 am and thought crap, I need to take pics!!
bas

Post by bas »

side markings from my M.53

Unfortunatly I don't have a clear one of the top crest. Also where can I get a nice clean stock like the one above!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Clean Stock,,, work,,, there are several posts on this site about removing the black or other stuff and sanding and steam raising wood and filling and then finishing the butt stock... I started working on one, someday I'll finish it.

Thanks for the yugo rears pics...

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I'm sure it would work the same for other stampings so long as they aren't too shallow:

According to the old manuals, markings such as sight numbers, etc. were filled in with (red or white) sealing wax.

I had someone on another board tell me I was full of crap for saying that they used wax, until I scanned the original page from the manual. They didn't have anything to say after that. :lol: (Like I'd be able to make this stuff up.)
Last edited by JBaum on Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

The true is always to much fun....

Later 42rocker
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

Thanks everybody for putting up these wonderful images of the various Mitrajez M53 receivers markings. I appreciate the help.

These are certainly enough to help answer an ongoing discussion I am currently having with another researcher/author on the Yugoslavian variant guns, about the manufacturing status of the guns.

Some very interesting things are immediately apparent regarding the application of the official markings,and are quickly becoming evident in just this small informal sampling-

1. Unlike the top-cover markings.....State crest and serial numbers which are clearly applied by the deep, uniform, impression into the metal by a normal roll stamp, the receiver side markings on these guns are just as clearly done by hand using quite variable results.

2. Note on just these three examples pictured in the thread here that there is considerable variation in the letter spacing in the caliber markings of "7.9" i.e., the actual distance between both the "7" & "9", but also in the location of the decimal period relative to the two numbers, both in vertical and horizontal alignment. In just three random guns pictured, this marking set is widely variable.

3. Note also the difference in spacing and height alignment in "M 53", between the "M" & "53" characters. Same situation as above.

4. Note that in just two different guns here there is a very notable and visible difference between the font size in the line "7.9 M 53" & the characters of the text in serial number line beneath it.

5. Within just two shown serial numbers here, the horizontal length and straightness of the dash " - " shown separating each pre-fix letter from the serial number characters is markedly distinct and different.

6. The line of Cyrillic characters on the bottom line in all shows the same type of non-uniformity as above, yet surprisingly enough, in all cases the set numbers "44" seems to be identical in both font, text height, and alignment?

7. In all cases on these receiver side markings, the depth of the engraving is variable, inconsistent across even the same line of characters, and markedly shallow in surface penetrations......all distinctive characteristics of common engraving where a rotating cutting stylus is dragged across the surface medium by hand through a template. The total lack of any consistency in any of the important areas of the engraving leads invariably to the conclusion that all these receiver-side markings were in fact done by hand through a template, and by different people. Taken against the consistent clarity of the normally roll-marked top-cover markings.....deep, uniform impressions with crisp, sharp, edges and near total uniformity across all examples....this is extremely curious, yet unmistakable.

(....and, I liked the later-applied UK proofs on the one gun! Stupid, one has to proof a DEACT receiver. )

-TomH
bas

Post by bas »

TactAdv wrote: (....and, I liked the later-applied UK proofs on the one gun! Stupid, one has to proof a DEACT receiver. )

-TomH
Tom, thats a Nitro proof for a live gun, the DEACT proofs are different. A lot of the guns that are imported into NZ come via the UK so carry the BNP stamp.

If you want more pictures of the gun check this link
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

bas
I'm guessing that is your link to your website... NICE WORK.... Just started going through it. The section on the m53 disassembly is really good for the new guys. Going back to your website to look at a few more of your toys.

Thanks for the Hard Work that you did and sharing it with us.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

bas
How many weapons do you have on your link?????????? A link in a new topic area about this website should be done.

Nice info and pics on the maxim

http://www.gunpics.net/russian/maxim/maxim.html

Later 42rocker
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

bas wrote: Tom, thats a Nitro proof for a live gun, the DEACT proofs are different. A lot of the guns that are imported into NZ come via the UK so carry the BNP stamp.
Yep, am well aware of the BNP stamp meaning, just figured it was, even so, on a DEACT gun- so few of these were left in live condition for so few markets that still allowed that. Is your gun still live?? If so, can you tell me if the bolt carrier is equipped with a spring-loaded feed stud, and is it heavier (like the MG3-style) than the War time carrier??

The other researcher/author I am presently discussing things with has discovered recently that the Yugos did an improvement to the M53 series gun toward the end, called the M53A, that mimicked the MG3-style of parts, i.e., heavier bolt carrier, combination flash-hider/booster nozzle, spring loaded feed stud, and feed cam from the MG3. Apparently, of the guns the Yugos surplussed, those with the above modernized characteristics seemed to have NOT been cut up, but rather sold off as live guns.....would love to get some pictures of the above parts if your gun so equipped.

-TomH
bas

Post by bas »

Tom,

Unfortunatly I don't have enough experience to answer your questions. Have a look at the link I posted above and if you need any extra photos I can take them for you.

42rocker,

Thanks for the feedback on the website.