Trivia! What is this Flash Hider and why is it special?

Anything MG42 related.
TactAdv
Major
Major

Trivia! What is this Flash Hider and why is it special?

Post by TactAdv »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-ORIGINAL-Ge ... 336dc0efed

So...........why is this different? Be SPECIFIC, not just the obvious!!

-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Trivia! What is this Flash Hider and why is it special?

Post by Bil »

I have one of those with the extra 'ring' above,maybe I can get big bucks for it!! :) ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

Bil wrote:I have one of those with the extra 'ring' above,maybe I can get big bucks for it!! :) ---bil
It is certainly worth more than the run-of-the-mill versions. Big prices have been paid for other specific parts like this. I'll give you a hint- the fact that this part was located in Ukraine is VERY important to the story, and reinforces the pedigree. ;-)

-TomH
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I will be interested to hear the story.Mine is an exact replica made by our own member,'fab', to original specs.
---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

Bil wrote:I will be interested to hear the story.Mine is an exact replica made by our own member,'fab', to original specs.
---bil
He would know, he bought my last special barrel from me that goes with this FH. NOT cheap, either. I used to have several complete sets, most of the guns unique parts, but parted them out over the years mostly to museums to restore their examples to correct original configuration. Almost none of these guns survived intact or failed to get updated.

You all need to remember what went to the 'Östliche Front'...."Russian Front"..... ;-) And that is why all these parts are coming from Ukraine and the Baltics. That -IS- the pedigree, or provenance of the originality for much of this stuff. It got left there.

BTW, that "extra flange" there on the base of the cone was done, when the basic design was conceived, to support more substantial heat transfer from where the conical section joined at the base as there was some concern that embrittlement and fatigue cracking would occur at the juncture there, proved later FROM ACTUAL SERVICE USE IN RUSSIA to not be a a problem so the feature was dropped from the adopted form of the gun when it was put into large scale production......I'm telling you....it's a very uncommon part, lots of history there.... ;-)

"I'll take prototype German machineguns for $400.00, Alex........."

-TomH
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

Just the other day I ran across a photo of an Waffen SS trooper. His MG42 is clearly fitted with one of these flash hiders.

About the auction ... dang - I want that soaking can!! The top is a little rough looking though. There are two accessories that I still need - a soaking can is one...
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

CRUSADER wrote:Just the other day I ran across a photo of an Waffen SS trooper. His MG42 is clearly fitted with one of these flash hiders.
Hint- Are you SURE it was an MG-42?? ;-)

-TomH
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

LOL - ok, what do you want to call it? An MG39? I'll find the pic, scan it & post it here. Cool? IIRC, the photo only shows the barrel jacket forward of the rear sight, so it may very well be an MG42... ;)

Stanby ... I'll find the photo ...
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

These pics are from Kursk, July/August 1943

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Early slab-sided cocking lever... ---bil
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

With a mg34 converted bipod.

Later 42rocker
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Early front sight too!

Looks like MG34 style stud bipod clasp too. You can see it sticking down in the third picture and no extra arms added to bipod to fit the MG42 jacket hole!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

And it went for???? Drum Roll Please.......... $255.00 Winner...... Did anyone on this site buy it by out bidding me and another person?????

Who ever got it, I hope they enjoy it...

Later 42rocker
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

42rocker wrote:And it went for???? Drum Roll Please.......... $255.00 Winner...... Did anyone on this site buy it by out bidding me and another person?????

Who ever got it, I hope they enjoy it...

Later 42rocker

Yep, it's from an actual MG-39/41.....no such thing as an "MG-42" when this was made. Yet. ;-)

I used to have about a 2 dozen of these FH's, a whack of the specific BBLs and bearings, and a bunch more 39/41-specific parts....all came out of Estonia/Ukraine via Finland. Those were the days.......same batch of kits and parts that included the small lot of mis-identified MKb-42(H) & MKb-42(W) parts......
-TomH
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

bleh ... it wasn't me. I have one of Fab's repro flash hiders, but I am still looking for a nice soaking can. That blemish on the side of the lid turned me off - especially at more than 250 bucks...

Ain't it funny how something as big and complicated as a really nice kit goes for $800~1000 and that silly, simple little can goes for 200~300? I'm surprised the cans are so rare.

Columbus Machine makes a repro, but it has no markings whatsoever.

.....the search continues...

*** About the photos - I found another odd one. Anyone interested in a photo of a pair of tanker MG34's mounted in that twin AA mount? The gunner is Waffen SS. ***
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Cans that rough don't bring more than $75 tops, so the flash hider was the rest of it.

I have a lot of other things to spend money on than a $255 curiosity, that most people won't appreciate or even know what it is.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com