what is this?

Anything MG42 related.
kevin917z
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

what is this?

Post by kevin917z »

not sure what this is so not really sure where to post this.

bought this stuff today, this one cleaning kit says kal 13 on it and has what look to be some kind of chamber cleaning thing i took out of the tin and laid on top.

any help appreciated.

junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: what is this?

Post by junglewalk »

kal.13, for the 13mm anti-tank rifle that the german army had in the beginning of WWII.....It was Mauser manufactured....The Old Patton Museum had one on display.
It looks like a scaled-up cleaning kit in size from yout 98k rifle cleaning kit next to it.......bh
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Very nice! What is the material in the wooden cases,to protect the cardboard ammo boxes? Is it original? Maybe you could get some pictures of the wooden crates? Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
kevin917z
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by kevin917z »

they are original ammo cases with unopened ammo in them, one is yellow tracer other is just normal 8mm. has the original labels inside and on the sides with waffenampt like stamps in the wood and other stencilled painted markings. one box is painted on top with the letter the other is branded. the other box (zubehor) is a panzer ground kit for the 34.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

kevin917z
Could we please see a few more pics of the boxes and whats in them.

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Very nice! I have several of the unopened cardboard boxes with cloth handles,and some of the smaller boxes that are inside,some with tracer.I would be interested in seeing how the boxes were packed in the wooden crate,how many,etc. Nice buy! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
kevin917z
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by kevin917z »

here are a few pics from some of the crates
Attachments
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 001.jpg
kevin917z
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by kevin917z »

one more, boxes similar to the individual boxes shown are inside the big cardboard handled boxes. i dont want to take them out and damage the cardboard or rip the handles off. I may turn them upside down on a flat board sometime to inspect the metal lining
also here is the inside of the panzer ground kit

the original gas mask and matching can is also shown but with some oil on it making it look shiney as the paint is only 70 percent or so and i dont want the bare metal to have a chance to rust
Attachments
Picture.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Very nice-thank you! And nice ground kit! In the first picture I thought there was some sort of protective packing,now i can see it is a metal lining,tacked into the box.I agree,I wouldn't risk damaging the cartons by trying to take them out. So 5 cartons to a crate-new info for me! Nice find! ---bil
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

taht cardboard gets really dry with age. i seen a guy at the indianapolis gun show carry one from a table after he bought it and it fell apart about 30 feet from the table, was using the original handle!!! - matt
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

junglewalk wrote:kal.13, for the 13mm anti-tank rifle that the german army had in the beginning of WWII.....It was Mauser manufactured....The Old Patton Museum had one on display.
It looks like a scaled-up cleaning kit in size from yout 98k rifle cleaning kit next to it.......bh
Are you sure? The only even close anti-tank weapons fielded early in WW II were the Panzerbüchse Pzb38/39 series, firing an 8.2mm 'Hartkerngeschoss' projectile from a (near) 13mm CASING, the patrone 318 series. I have -NEVER- seen a weapons cleaning device, from any country or service, labeled for the measurement of the CHAMBER, only the correct BORE size.

The only correct BORE size weapon in period use would be the 13.2mm MG-131 aircraft machine gun.

Unless you are going on something more in-depth knowledge-wise than that 'kal. 13' marking, I would strongly disagree that is a cleaning kit for anti-tank rifle from WW II; however the Mauser-made model of 1918 "T-Geweher" anti-tank rifle from WORLD WAR ONE was indeed, also chambered for a 13.2mm projectile, such a cleaning kit would seem more likely for it, also noting the construction of the pictured tool seems more period correct for WW I, than WW II.

Further, I have never seen any period documentations indicating the Tank-Abwehr Gewehr Model of 1918 was ever fielded, even for rudimentary training use or donation to friendly forces, by the late date of 1939, if for no other reason than the Versailles Treaty demanded specifically their destruction 20 years earlier along with the facility of its specialized ammunition productions. I seriously doubt there was even a complete T-gewer 1918 in Germany in 1938-39....most all surviving T-Gewehr's were by then in the USA or Canada/UK.

-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by anjongni »

Absolutely stunning, Kevin. Congratulations! Where on earth did you score these items? You can share it with us! Surely they have more.....
There is the remarkable, elusive MG34 ground kit. I've never seen a complete one. May I request more photos of the box and items inside? Thank you again for posting.....Phil
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

....on the 'kal.13' cleaning kit.....I am not an expert on german anti-tank rifles of either WWI/II....When I saw the large kit in the photo, I recall seeing many times at the Patton Museum the Mauser made 13mm anti-tank rifle on display, and thought it would have been issued to the crews of that weapon.(just guessing!!!) :cross:
.....Today, I would happily go to the museum and inquire about the gun, I only live one mile from the Patton Museum, but as most of you have head, Ft.Knox has lost its heart & soul by the transfer of the Armor School/center and the old Patton Museum to Ft.Benning,Ga.
...It will be years before weapons like that will be on display down there, because the facilities are limited or non-existent. Almost all 300 tanks & guns have left Knox. The new Patton Museum here has so little.
.......How many of you guys are familiiar with the use of reverse bullets in WWI by German infantry on the Western Front against French & British armor? ........As any soldiers would, to do what they could to fight a new threat, it was the case in the trenches before the introduction of anti-tank rifles such as the above......bh
:cheer:
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

....The mauser made T-1918 anti-tank rifle has been discussed on the site in the past, 2008. It is down in the 98k, & pistol section, and some of the guys here actually own & fire them;I'm sorry for the repeatition.
.. viewtopic.php?f=42&t=7169