Good paint stripper..

Anything MG42 related.
Embalmer
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Good paint stripper..

Post by Embalmer »

Anyone recommend a good stripper (paint stripper :lol: ) avalible at home depot ect so I can remove the black paint from my m53 stock? Im looking for something that takes the paint off with ease without going nuts scraping and or sanding it off. Will be first attempt at refinishing wood :?
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: Good paint stripper..

Post by tomcatshaas »

Aircraft grade stripper. The one with the airplane on it. If HD doesn't have it, then try an auto parts store like O'Reilly auto parts
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by bmwr12 »

I will second that the aricraft stripper, it works good just use gloves incase you get it on you.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

I agree. PPE. long sleeved shirt. Eye protection and gloves rated for stripper. You get just a little splatter on you and you will cry like DA when he get's his ammo bill after a machine gun shoot.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Good paint stripper.. On Metal????

Post by 42rocker »

Ok everyone, that's wood, what would you use on metal??? Like ammo box's or lafette tripod's same thing???

Thanks for the info on wood, next..

Later 42rocker
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

use the same stuff on wood or metal. You need to follow the directions closely and make sure you use clean water to rinse or any paint you put on will have some issues.

Frank
Embalmer
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Embalmer »

Ok thanks guys. Ill go to homedepot and see if they have it in a small container as its just for the m53.
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

I just finished doing the same thing - fixing up a Yugo-painted German MG42 stock. Yeah - the paint stripper you can find at HD or LOWE'S will work perfectly.

These stocks were treated with cosmoline before they were painted black. Yep, they painted right over the cosmoline. So, the stripper will remove the black paint in a snap.

Then you get to deal with the cosmoline-soaked wood :bnija: :wnana: :bnija: :wnana: ... :puk:

I stuck my stock in the dish washer (ALL BY ITSELF!). Don't let HH6 find out about that.

The DW treatment worked ok. Next I tried cooking the thing in my paint curing cabinet. More cosmoline ran out...and ran out...and ran out...and...well, you get the idea. I cooked the thing on-and-off for 4 days [diz] I'd heat it up, get some cosmoline to run out, then wipe it down with mineral spirits and stick it back in the cabinet. I also sprayed it now & then with a can of automotive parts cleaner.

Between sessions in the curing cabinet, I also tried to steam out the stampings that the Yugos inflicted on it. I just used a clothes iron and a clean, damp rag/towel. It sorta worked, but eventually I threw in the towel and just sanded it down a little. Ohh - the steaming will also get some of the cosmoline out, LMAO!

I finished it up by taking a knife-edge file to the tail end to clear out the ridges.

I'm happy with how it turned out. My stock is now waaayyyy better than the worn out stub/stock that came with a buddies Wise Lite SA42 :lol: