which IO kit to get? $389 308 kit or $499 kit 8mm

Anything MG42 related.
acmech

which IO kit to get? $389 308 kit or $499 kit 8mm

Post by acmech »

Ok, which kit should I get? IO has the M53 .308 for $389 and the mg42 8mm for $499. I know 8mm is cheap now, but I will also be building a 1919 and will be able to use the same ammo in it with different belts of course, so maybe the .308 is better for me. What kind of belts does the M53 use? Is there any real reason to spend the extra $110 for an 8mm kit? I need help making this decision, so thanks for all input.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Acmech, Welcome aboard !! If you want both guns to fire the same round and don’t mint that the M53 doesn’t have the history of the MG42 then save your $110 for semi parts or ammo. The M53 will still use MG42 belts. Keep in mind some guns are fussy, mine doesn’t like the post war belts while some MG42 covers don’t have a problem.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

you can also get a 8mm barrel for the 1919, 8mm barrels for the mg42 seem harder to find then the 308 ones and more $$
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

For $110 more you get the 8mm parts. 308 parts - top cover, barrel and feed tray will cost you about $200 more fron Dan, RTG, and IO. If you go 308 and then buy 8mm parts you'll spend about $300 ( of course subtract the 110 you saved over the 8mm kit.) The downside is you'll have more trouble finding 8mm parts which means you'll be looking longer and paying more as supply decreases. There are LOTS of guys with 308 parts so availability is better and cost is lower - more parts = cheaper.

Im like you I shoot 308 in my 1919's. I can shoot 8mm, or 3006 (I havent spring for a 7.62X39 kit - yet.), but I shoot 308 because its cheap and noncorrosive. True 8mm is cheaper, but if I get called in and dont clean my 8mm guns the barrel (even if I hit it with windex w/amonia or straight amonia) will have a nice furry red bore 12-24 hours later. I only shoot 8mm when I plan to shoot 500+ rounds and Im sure I'll be able to clean the gun right after.

Having just had this discussion with my partner in crime, He decided (and I agree) to buy the 8mm kit and pick up 308 parts. Since we're seriously considering paying for our SOT, he plans a semi build in 308 now and a post sample build in 8mm if we finally get off our asses and pay for our SOT. For economy the 8mm cant be beat. For convience, 308 is the way to go. To give you an idea it costs me $132/K of 308 too my door. 8mm Romanian is $96/K delivered if I buy at least $500 worth. With 3 belt fed junkies shooting $500+ ammo totals are the norm....
Smooth is Fast
acmech

Post by acmech »

Thanks for all of the input guys, I have considered what you said doc, and being a black powder shooter I know what a pain corrosion is. I just want a mg42 and am not concerned about if its german or a Yugo copy. I think I will get the .308 since I don't plan to spend the extra cash to convert my 1919 as well. For me it will be easier this way. I just didn't know if one kit was easier to build than the other.

Thanks!
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

yeah I hear ya. I HATE the PITA the corrosive stuff ends up being. I know guys that seem to have no troubles with it and while I get away with it, Ive also been burned a few times. Even though 8mm is cheaper, I find I shoot 3-4 times as much belt fed 308 as 8mm simply for the convience. That and I hate the damn can openers/sharp lids - I always worry Im gunna cut a finger off on the damen things!
Smooth is Fast
EZFEED

Post by EZFEED »

I try and keep all of my ground guns in .308 except for the .50 cals.

I still have to make a .308 for the ZB-37 and the MG-34. Does anyone know if there's a .308 34 barrel available?
DRH

Post by DRH »

Ohio Ordinance Works lists MG34 barrels in .308 on their barrel page. However the price is steep at $250.00 each.
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Index/parts.htm
gearlogo
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by gearlogo »

Buy the 308 and and extra 8mm barrel. Kit 399.00 + 150.00 for extra brl. For 50.00 more than an 8mm kit you get both cals. You'll then have to mod the 308 feed tray adapter to make it removable and replaceable
EZFEED

Post by EZFEED »

DRH wrote:Ohio Ordinance Works lists MG34 barrels in .308 on their barrel page. However the price is steep at $250.00 each.
http://www.ohioordnanceworks.com/Index/parts.htm
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW bud!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is it possible to slice the barrel collar off the 34 barrel and thread in a 42 barrel???????
multishots

Post by multishots »

I ordered a WWII kit from IO online yesterday. They called today to say they are out and the only thing left is the M53.
Ok, what now?
gtbehary

Post by gtbehary »

I am waiting on a .308 kit from IO. I am pretty much gun/kit poor right now and I just wanted a belt fed gun. $400 is a small price to pay for one. I will eventually get an 8mm barrlel, feed tray and cover.
shep0815

Post by shep0815 »

Another newbie here.
I'm also looking for an original WW2 MG42 kit. I guess IO is out from what I read here. I've been warned that the ones at MG34.com are cut up so bad as to be pretty much useless. I'm hoping I might turn up something at the SAR show in Phoenix next week, but failing that, anyone have any suggestions?
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

i would say wait on dan @ angola armory to get a shipment in but have a feelin the list by now is longer then the amount of sets he will be gettin in :shock:
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
DrSmeller

Post by DrSmeller »

Keep in mind Tom it's easy to sign up on a list but more difficult to send the $$ in when the kits arrive. You never know how many people might be tapped out after Christmas etc.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

yup :wink: i am almost tempted to find the cheapest kit on the market just for parts to finish the dummie and so I have spares :shock:

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
nlander

Post by nlander »

I received a kit from MG34.com today and the receiver is cut pretty bad. It is cut right behind the boster cone threads and through the rachet plate making it quite a mess. The rear section is cut right where the serial number is (was). Here's the strange part, the receiver is marked with WaA623 but the top cover is stamped bpr with no WaA stamp. The kit came with a Yugo barrel and bolt. The top cover, receiver, charging handle and butt stock have matching numbers which is very nice. Overall the kit is in unissued condition.
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Does IO offer "hand select" kits?

I would be willing to pay a little more knowing the parts were nice and the receiver was rebuildable.
DrSmeller

Post by DrSmeller »

Catn Kirks, careful when you deal with IO. They don't have the best reputation in the business and are known to send out a lot of junk - rip offs in a lot of cases.

They do get some good stuff in and at good prices. This is what keeps people coming back. I order from them when i know they got a batch of something good in. Other wise i steer clear. It's a crap shoot really. They could send something pristine or it could be junk. I don't think paying a hand selct fee is going to matter much to them. They may quite a chuckle out of it and then send what they were going to anyway. Good luck if you deal with them.
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

DrSmeller wrote:Catn Kirks, careful when you deal with IO. They don't have the best reputation in the business and are known to send out a lot of junk - rip offs in a lot of cases.

They do get some good stuff in and at good prices. This is what keeps people coming back. I order from them when i know they got a batch of something good in. Other wise i steer clear. It's a crap shoot really. They could send something pristine or it could be junk. I don't think paying a hand selct fee is going to matter much to them. They may quite a chuckle out of it and then send what they were going to anyway. Good luck if you deal with them.
I have never had a problem with IO. I have stuff on order with them right now.