Is this a WWII bolt?

Anything MG42 related.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Is this a WWII bolt?

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Heres a pic of the bolt in my last kit from Dan the Man. The stud has a faint Waffen mark, but I wa wondering if its an amalgamation of parts -pre and post or all WWII. That and Ive decided Im tired of Tom's "this thread needs pics" so I thought I's take several to update some previous posts.... :D
Attachments
bolt.jpg
bolt.jpg (142.65 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
boltcloseup.jpg
boltcloseup.jpg (225.88 KiB) Viewed 1159 times
Smooth is Fast
Abwehr

Bolt

Post by Abwehr »

I have a Post War Bolt and the Stud has a Waffenamt on it. I assume they probably salvaged as many parts and pieces as they could. Don't have a real answer to the question, but you asked the same question I have asked myself!
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

[(O)] you mean this one? :shock: :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Dan@AngolaArmory

Post by Dan@AngolaArmory »

The bolt body is WWII, does the bolt head have the round extractor plunger? If it does, its post war.
FWIW
Dan
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Thanks Dan!

Yes Tom - that one - :twisted: Its like herpes - its painful and it always seems to pop up when you least expect it!
Smooth is Fast
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Here's a WWII bolt head for comparison - note extractor plunger per Dan's post
Abwehr

Bolt

Post by Abwehr »

I finally got home last night and got up early this morning to look at my Bolt. The Post War Bolt I got from Dan is like yours "gunslingerdoc". It has the WWII Body and the post war head. I do have a WWII spare head like the photo posted by "Otis". I changed out the post war head to the WWII head, so I now have a WWII complete Bolt to put into the Spare Bolt Box on the Lafette.
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Just for completeness of discussion, the one Yugo M-53 bolt I have has a bolt head that looks identical to the German WWII design. The bolt has no German markings (nor none obliterated) and only Yugo markings to my knowledge. It would appear that the Yugoslavians continued production of the German WWII design.
Abwehr

Post by Abwehr »

Otis,

Any idea what the "Shield: stamp means on the Bolt Head?
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Not sure on the shield. 'dfb" is marked lettering in the shield (below the lettering in the shield is the number "5"). "dfb" is Gustloff Co., Waffenfabrik, Suhl. I've seen the same shield type markings with "cra" before on barrels. I'll dig agound and see if I come up with something.

Maybe Dan knows and will add to this?

BTW, this is a photo of the other side of the same bolt head

Dan@AngolaArmory

Post by Dan@AngolaArmory »

I am in the dark on the shield also and would like to know.
Dan
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Here's another example of the shield marking as seen on barrel;
Last edited by Otis Cambell on Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Please delete duplicate message