Some early German ammo

Anything MG42 related.
tony
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Some early German ammo

Post by tony »

I didn't see an ammo forum so I thought I'd post it here. Move it if needed. I recently came across a complete case of 1943 German 8mm APT for my collection. Just thought I'd share a couple pics

par0thead151

Re: Some early German ammo

Post by par0thead151 »

i cant see the pics
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I can-anyone else having problems viewing these. PS-I have some old German ammo also,will post pics when I get home. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Volkssturm45

Post by Volkssturm45 »

No problem for me. Nice cartridges :D
tony
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by tony »

Posting pics again
Attachments
080216%20049b[1] (2).jpg
080216%20045[1] (2).jpg
tony
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by tony »

Here is some 1937 8mm APT brass case. I'm guessing the tracer is green to red from the (grunrot), if anyone can translate feel free. Also, this is the only lot I have that doesn't designate a type of primer, only Zdh. If anyone knows what the S.K.D. 533 is on the last line please let me know.
Attachments
Christmas 2006 and Ebay 045.jpg
Christmas 2006 and Ebay 044.jpg
Christmas 2006 and Ebay 040.jpg
junglewalk
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by junglewalk »

The S.K.D. is the assigned code for the primer manufacturer; and the 533 is the lot number of the primer, then the year 1937.
The first Three letters on that line is the assigned code for the Tracer composition manufacturer.......HOLEY COW!
If the ammo in the typicial 15 rd box started life in that box, the six lines on label tells all about the rds inside.
Tony, you are right about the 'grunrot' in that the the rd traces green out to 500 meters, then turns red there after.
The label info is that typical german efficiency, but you know the regular soldier looked for key info on the label, and looked to the round to see if it was a AP, or tracer, etc....and could'nt care less as to who made the powder, primer, etc......

(Mr.Daniel Kent, made a tedious study of the 8mm round in his book , "German 7,9MM Military Ammunition, 1888-1945". . . . . )
Beautiful women are like well built machineguns: Some should just be looked at, and left alone, while others were built to get hot.
tony
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by tony »

Thanks for the info junglewalk. I'm curious if the primer is the old mercury type, corrosive, or non corrosive. And if it has nitrocellulose powder, I thought there was a powder code?
You can't tell from the pic. but the primer is sealed also.
It is all original in the box from what I can tell. All the codes are the same on all the boxes and rds.
Stonewall

Post by Stonewall »

That is quite interesting ammunition.I saw a case of mixed tracer at last years Easter gun show and got the last two boxes. How well do most lots function after all the years?

A great forum to do research on German WW2 ammunition : http://cartridgecollectors.org/forum/vi ... 4f82d68805

Glenn
medved

Post by medved »

Bought thousands of rounds of bras cased 1937 thru 1940 german ammo in original carriers and thousnads more loose rounds from J&G a few years back. Almost all fired perfectlly with only a very few duds. No split necks or head failures. both in the 34 and 42. Although I did read on report on Pulte manufactured ammo that concerned a head failure. I think the code was 635 but not sure.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I have so FEW original German rounds that I would never shoot them, 40 in little boxes and about 200 loose.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury