I really screwed up this time...

Anything MG42 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

I really screwed up this time...

Post by ScottD »

I posted a similar string in the built it section, but I really need help with maximum exposure. I REALLY dont wanna give up on this gun!

I let my buddy weld up a few nasty spots on my receiver (nasty cause of my nasty welding skills) and now my nose section is horribly warped. Now I need a replacement nose section. Does anybody have some of the forward chunk of the nose, (for sale of course) from the front of the bipod mount to the bearing? (dont care about condition of bearing, I need just behind it) Im really in a pinch here. Please somebody help!
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
Gurowski

Re: I really screwed up this time...

Post by Gurowski »

You could try contraction straightening. You heat the outside of a curve, then quench it with a wet rag or something similar. The steel contracts and straightens. You generally have to do it a few times to get something straight. I have used this method several times at work to straighten bent things like truck diff housings. I used it to straighten a MK3 sten reciever as well, so it works OK.

But not having seen how bad your bent section is, I cant gaurantee that it would work for you.

You could also cut and reweld the front again. Use a Tig to keep the heat down.

Gurowski
weasel
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by weasel »

I had a lot of trouble on a bren weld due to the warpage in the center section. All you have to do is hacksaw through the weld and realign and weld again. This is of coarse on the sheet metal part of the receiver. If your weld screwed up the barrel bearing I would think that you will have to grind off metal to save the part.
I have a front piece from a 53 sarco kit that I will give you if you need it.
PM me on the info for the part
Weasel
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

PM sent for the nose section. Let me if you get it. Thanks again.-Scott
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Here is a partial section. I don't think it is all you need, but it might be (not mine):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=79989069
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Thats EXACTLY what I need, but I gotta wait for weasel to get back to me about his.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 »

If you don't get the one from G.B., I have 2 of them plus 2 section from the rear of the front sight to about 6 inches farther back.

Images on request.

Sharpsshooter5090
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
MGW LLC

Post by MGW LLC »

I have a few of those section. I won't sell it to you unless I am welding it in however.

PM If you are interested in getting your gun in a SAFE welded condition.