Question

Anything MG42 related.
techent

Question

Post by techent »

I'am new to the German guns. I built a FA 1917A1 before '86 but sold it to a friend shortly thereafter. However, when I first saw a postwar tripod with its recoil feature my brain immediatly said "bumpfire"................ :lol: Any thoughts?
Abwehr

Bumpfire

Post by Abwehr »

I will take a shot (pardon the pun) at the bumpfire question. The Lafette or post war MG3 Tripods do have the recoil feature, but due to the trigger design of the 1919A4 and the longet pull of the SA MG42, I don't think it would reliably work.

The 1919A4 trigger is more of an "up" pull rather than a horizontal pull, so I don't think it would work. The trigger pull on my SA MG42 is sort of long and I I don't thin the recoil mechanism moves far enough to bumpfire. This is only y first observation no having actually tried it since I use the trigger actuation lever to fire the gun.

If a trigger was set on the "sensative" side, it just may work?????
techent

Post by techent »

My SA42 recoils about 1/2" rearward, which is more than enough to disengage the trigger after firing. The problem then arises upon where the gun recovers but also travels forward of rest position approximatly 1/4". However, this is all predicated upon changing the mounting of the remote trigger linkage from the moveable rails to the fixed rails. Once this is done, the trigger actuator (the part which engages the trigger) will remain fixed in relation to the ground as long as the hand lever is depressed. Now, upon firing, the gun recoils reward and recovers, bumping into the trigger acuator. This will continue untill the hand lever is released. :wink:
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

that don't sound like a good idea legaly :?
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
techent

Post by techent »

The law states one pull of the trigger, one shot. Bump firing is perfectly legal. There are many bump fire mechanisms that are BATF approved.
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

For bumping a 1919 in a lafette mount, think "Spade Grips with Butterfly Triggers". It's not pure bumpfire, more of a "bump assist". Still, it eats ammo at an expensive rate.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

When you change the mounting of the lever on the Lafette, you've changed what's defined as the trigger... Bump firing with your finger is one thing, using a mechanical device and spring loaded mount to do it is quite another. It becomes the trigger, and you've just gone from one pull=one shot, to one pull=many shots.... :(

You know, some fool will call the cops as soon as he hears full auto, or what could be full auto, because all fools know that full auto is illegal. I've been told that many times myself, even when I was the one wearing the badge. The cops show up because they get paid to investigate the complaint. It turns to (Try a different word.) from there. Play the game, take your chances. Using an electrical device to pulse the trigger is illegal too. The electric switch becomes the trigger. It's all the same in court. Finger yes, but any sort of device that doesn't require a motion of your hand for each shot makes a machine gun. Cranks are OK for this reason. Hand motion is required to make them work. Put a motor on it and it's illegal.

Just my opinion. I believe it's cheaper to pay the big bucks for the FA gun than an attorney to try to keep you out of jail. Better odds, too.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

It still requires finger movement, just not much. This is no different than any other bumpfire method.

Your finger moves the trigger, the gun fires. Each round fired requires the finger on the trigger, moving and activating the trigger.

If a LEO shows up, let him try to fire it full auto.
techent

Post by techent »

Good advice........none of us wants to get sideways with the law.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Silly, I know but remember the shoe string, gents.
Smooth is Fast
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

doc you got one of them thar preban, amnesty registered trigger fingers don't you :?: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Yes I do (still gots 10 infact). Of course there's a reason I wear birkenstocks to the range - no show strings with my guns agents, no sir.
Smooth is Fast
justashooter
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by justashooter »

i would agree that any modification intended to remove the operation of the trigger from the direct control of the operator is a grey area.

continuous manipulation is a key factor.
working on it!
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

justashooter wrote:i would agree that any modification intended to remove the operation of the trigger from the direct control of the operator is a grey area. BINGO thats what I am thinkin :?

continuous manipulation is a key factor.
:shock: ooh big words

just stay safe guys :D this ain't like a 1919, the 42 probly won't contain an oob explosion it is only sheet metal

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

the 42 probly won't contain an oob explosion it is only sheet metal
Well I dont know about everyone elses, but my MIG welded receiver has tolerated more than one out of battery explosion.

While its reassuring to know the welds held, hot gases and metal moving by your fingers is not a pleasant experience.[/quote]
Smooth is Fast
justashooter
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by justashooter »

TOM R wrote: ooh big words

just stay safe guys :D this ain't like a 1919, the 42 probly won't contain an oob explosion it is only sheet metal
don't they get past grade school in nazi jersey?
working on it!