The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson

Discussions of political and gun issues.
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

I didn't write this - I'm just the messenger.

On November 20, 2007 the United States Supreme Court made a historical decision regarding Constitutional Rights. The case, District of Columbia v. Heller, being the first case successfully appealed to the Supreme Court based on the Second Amendment since the flawed and unresolved case of US v. Miller circa 1939, had the result of shocking the political landscape across the nation.

In May of 2007, the DC Court of Appeals overturned a lower court ruling that had favored the 1976 ban on handguns in the city. The city appealed to the en banc court in the hopes that they would reverse the appeals decision. This did not happen. The en banc court upheld the appeal decision based on Second Amendment grounds leaving the District of Columbia in an unenviable position.

This set the stage for the resulting appeal to the United States Supreme Court. From this point on precedence was being set. The court, unable to reach a satisfactory outcome during the first discussion regarding cert, tabled the issue until a meeting could be arranged with all parties involved. This meeting took place on the morning of November 20, 2007.

During this gathering, the Court clarified the question for simplification to the issue and in doing so, broadened the question setting the stage for a far reaching decision. The initial appeal from the District of Columbia was based solely on the perceived right of the city to restrict the ability of the citizens to possess handguns of any type. Along with this was the perception forwarded by the District of Columbia that the Court was overstepping the Constitutional bounds of law based on the District being a Federal property and not a state.

The initial plaintiff in the case, Mr. Heller responded not with a request for denial but with a separate appeal requesting that the lower court ruling be upheld, and that the Supreme Court define both the sentence and meaning of the Second Amendment.

In response to the dual appeal, the Supreme Court gathered with the parties of the case and formulated a single Constitutional question that would satisfy the underlying issue at hand. Taking three sections of law covering registration of handguns, carry of unlicensed handguns, and mandatory storage and disassembly of long guns, the Court expanded the scope of the case.

This expansion has set the stage for a Constitutional ruling that will either result in the incorporation of the Second Amendment under the Fourteenth Amendment or a flurry of challenges to the validity of the remainder of the Bill of Rights. The thought behind this is based on the controversy surrounding the two stances on the Second Amendment. One being the “Collective Rights” stance put forth by various scholars and special interest groups. The theory behind this stance is that the “militia clause” dictates that the right is held by the States rather than the individual due to the perceived control of militia activity by the States. The counter argument is the “Individual Right” stance. This stance is based upon the phrase “The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

If the Court upholds the latter argument, the end result will be a dramatic change in the basis of firearms laws nationwide. It would not be unreasonable to expect all restrictions on firearms based on function, physical characteristics, place of origin, or caliber to be ruled unconstitutional. This would leave the Government severely restricted in the ability to regulate or prohibit access to almost all types of small arms and other weapons covered under the Second Amendment.

Should the Court overturn the lower court ruling based upon the formulation of the question and the appeal by the District of Columbia, then the fundamental understanding of the language of the Constitution is challenged. The definition of “The People” will be changed leaving open the likely possibility that all rights enumerated in the Amendments of the Constitution being revisited in the Courts. Such a decision would affect the entire Bill of Rights and thousands of laws protecting the citizens of the United States.

This is a key issue that must be addressed by the Supreme Court leaving their options very limited in scope. Given the possible crisis such a ruling would create, it would be very likely that the court will find unanimously for Heller upholding the meaning of the People in the Constitution. The phrasing of the question brought forth by the Court suggests that the status of the Second Amendment will be addressed as well. Incorporation as a civil right under the Fourteenth Amendment would resolve many post decision issues that would arise from this case.

Case law dating back more than a century and a half would reinforce incorporation of the Second Amendment as the proper and correct approach. This would also rectify the unresolved issue left in US v. Miller (1939) where the decision and remanding back to the lower court for clarification has left the issue unanswered.

While District of Columbia v. Heller is fundamentally a Second Amendment case, issues such as right to privacy, freedom to assemble, freedom of speech, and others are all at risk with this suit. Political ramifications aside, the security of the nation may rest on the decision the Court hands down as well due to the current threat of terrorism.

On the political front, this case will also have an impact on the validity of sections of law such as the Hughes Amendment (US 18 Section 922 (o)) based on Interstate Commerce. It will also prohibit the ability of State and local governments to regulate firearms to a great degree.

Documentation from the era of the founding of the United States suggests that control of arms was a critical factor in the revolution as much so as taxation without representation was. The question must be asked, as repugnant as the possibility may be, will the citizens respond with violence should the Court find in favor of the District of Columbia? While it may seem unthinkable, the possibility must be addressed due to the fervor and deep passion involved with the issue of the Second Amendment. Another reason this is important is that should violence result from a poor decision by the Court, would this leave the nation vulnerable to unforeseen adversaries? Again, as distasteful as this may be, it must be addressed by the Court.

The possibility of the Court taking notice of enforcement actions by the Government is high due to questionable cases such as US v. Weaver (1992), US v. Wrenn (2005), US v. Kwan (2007), and US v. Stewart (2003) where the basis of the arrests brought forth a question of violation of constitutional rights. Other factors that must be considered are actions taken against citizens with questionable justification. An example of such a controversial instance would be the standoff between Federal Agents and David Koresh along with his followers. In US v. Kwan, question of the legitimacy of the evidence brings forth a crucial question of objectives and conduct by the Government. That the Court may allow this to weigh in on their decision may be of great concern to some parties in the United States Government but will be a landmark of the legal system to the average citizen. Given the latitude the Court has when referencing documentation and other cases, the likelihood of any of these cases or similar cases being a key component to the decision is very great. The post decision repercussions regarding this would be far reaching and paramount to the future conduct of the Government when dealing with the citizens.

In conclusion, the District of Columbia v. Heller case, without the controversial aspect of the other plaintiffs who were found to be without standing in the lower court, will be one of the most important cases to ever come before the United States Supreme Court. The ramifications of the decision to be handed down sometime in the year 2008 will affect the nation in many ways that are separate from the issue of the Second Amendment. This decision may impact the international scene as well due to the world wide trade of arms and technology and the continuing efforts by international organizations to create a monopoly on force of arms. How this decision will impact the ability of the enemies of the United States to operate within its borders is unknown but history has shown time and time again that an armed populace secure in the ability to use arms in the defense of self and community have always been a detriment to crime and criminal abuse by a government.

With warmest regards-

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson

Post by gdmoore28 »

Takes the breath away.

Also shows the importance in electing presidents who will appoint justices with conservative, constuctionist views.

'08 is going to be an interesting year.

GeeDeeEmm
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

The Ghost of Thomas Jefferson wrote: The question must be asked, as repugnant as the possibility may be, will the citizens respond with violence should the Court find in favor of the District of Columbia? While it may seem unthinkable, the possibility must be addressed due to the fervor and deep passion involved with the issue of the Second Amendment.
Sadly, I hope the answer to that is YES, any ruling other than individual right would be the final nail in the coffin of the republic. Without the second as the ultimate safeguard of the bill of rights its just a matter of time until we have a gov that thinks we have no rights.

Link to another story
the Supreme Court of the United States will, before it adjourns next summer, render a similarly sound and supportive opinion in the case

As weird as it sounds the beginning of the next American civil war could actually be as close as next summer. _______ :dev: _____________________________________ :mg:
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

"As weird as it sounds the beginning of the next American civil war could actually be as close as next summer."

2's in! Always said the south will rise again
Glenn
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

If the right to free speach was infringed as much as the right to bear arms,the press would be in an uproar.I wonder if they would like it if they had the same restrictions as gun owners,and the government had final say as to who was qualified to do the speaking.I always thought it would be the left that would set off any major change worth fighting,but have come to realize that it is power that will do it.The lust for control doesn't belong to only one party,they have become each half of the whole.Both are very dangerous.We shall see. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

If the right to keep and bear arms is extinguished, the media will next be infiltrated, forced to pronounce only politically correct speech, and free speech will also become extinct. And if the people have any yearning for freedom left, they will either overturn the government through the vote, and failing that, the gun. I have faith in the vote once people have lost their patience with stupid and selfish politicians. When we finally lose all belief in our own government representatives, then this country is truly doomed.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

DA-I agree with your post-but in my opinion,the time for the last sentence has already arrived.But as long as the average voter has his TV and a cold beer after work,he won't notice until too late. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

I don't think we have to worry about how this Supreme Court will rule. Dear God, I hope we don't, anyway. Regardless, however they rule, our country will be dramatically changed in a single day. Think about the ramifications on both sides.

I've been trying to link to the complete text of the Silberman opinion, but so far have only found excerpts. I have heard that his opinion -- written for the majority -- is the clearest legal exposition of the true meaning of the Second Amendment yet written. If anyone has a link to the complete text of the opinion, I would certainly appreciate it.

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Here is a link to the text of Silverman's opinion:

http://www.zprc.org/legal/parkervdc.html

Regards,
Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

the media is already under attack with the "fairness doctrine" all tha flack the politicians got over the immigration act they wanted to pass and give away america pissed them off.
as far as the decision on the 2nd ammendment even if it does go our way I don't think there will be any change to existing laws. and if there is they will find ways to make ownership more difficult.
any changes will have to be fought for in the courts.
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Pirate wrote:<snip>any changes will have to be fought for in the courts.<snip>
AND AT THE POLLS
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

762x51 wrote:
Pirate wrote:<snip>any changes will have to be fought for in the courts.<snip>
AND AT THE POLLS
actually that is where it needs to start. we need to flush the load of crappy politicians we have now and hire new ones, then make sure they know we will be watching what they do, as thier job is to do our bidding, not take care of themselves and special interests.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I find it hard to believe it could still be done,the entire system is corrupt.Both sides have been bought,an honest man would be destroyed before they would allow him to be elected.Diogenes would have his work cut out for him today in this country. ---bil
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Bil wrote:I find it hard to believe it could still be done,the entire system is corrupt.Both sides have been bought,an honest man would be destroyed before they would allow him to be elected.Diogenes would have his work cut out for him today in this country. ---bil

If all the people who were fed up but don't vote would get out and vote it could happen. vote out the incumbents and there will definately be a change of attitude.

politics is definately a joke, they all claim that they will solve all the problems , but not one has a plan.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Where are the people that are willing to run,that don't have an agenda,that aren't beholden to special interests,that are willing to put the common good over their own ,that are willing to sacrifice their time and effort to look at the future,not just the near but the long-range.On the whole this is still the greatest country I know of,it is the accumulation of the small things that will take us down.Where is the candidate willing to call it like it is,and could someone be elected if they did.Or does the average voter even know the diferance.The fact that we are writing about this means we are thinking more than the average.Many people are concerned about the way the country may be headed,but how many are willing to put up with any sort of discomfort to change.Look at the Founding Fathers-they were far from the average man of the day,many already had it made in their world.But they were willing to put it all on the line for the common good,and for a higher principle.They gambled both property and their very lives on this .Many lost both.There was an entire generation of great men.All we need is a few like them.Where are they,and would they even stand a chance today.I am not being pessimistic,I am being hopeful.I just get tired of being disapointed. ---bil
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Bil-

There is ONE guy running for president that is exactly as you describe: Mike Huckabee, former governor of my state, Arkansas. (Oddly, from the same home town as Bill Clinton--Hope! Here, we call him the Anti-Clinton. :? )

I know Mike Huckabee (used to talk with him when he was governor when he came to my music store to buy supplies), and what you see is EXACTLY what you get. He is absolutely genuine, totally stand up, and conservative to his very core. And a strict constitutionalist. And hunter. And he has an Arkansas-issued CCL.

Of course, nobody, not even Mike, can radically, suddenly change the US into the type of country it ought to be. The Progressives are simply too entrenched -- it would take a succession of three or four like-minded administrations with the support of the American people to toss their greasy asses out of power. And, in truth, with a sizeable portion of the American citizenry living with their heads firmly planted in their . . . well . . . there, that ain't likely to happen.

But for me and my house, GO, MIKE, GO!

Can he be elected? If it depends on my vote, he will.

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson