2nd verse National Anthem

Discussions of political and gun issues.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

2nd verse National Anthem

Post by 42rocker »

Well I just learned something today and I thought that I would share it. Repeat this or singing it in certain places may get interesting.
I did run a 2nd check on this. Only 2 checks however for those that want to fight.

http://nation.foxnews.com/culture/2010/ ... -tea-party

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0fQd858 ... r_embedded

The words

The Star-Spangled Banner, Second Verse (from Heavenly Highway Hymns, Second Edition).

Oh, thus be it ever when
free men shall stand
Between their loved homes
and the war's des-o-la-tion!
Blest with vic-t'ry and peace,
may the Heav'n res-cued
Praise the Pow'r that hath made
and preserved us a na-tion!

Then con-quer we must, when our cause, it is just,
And this be our mot-to:
"In God is our trust!"

And the Star-span-gled Ban-ner
in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free
and the home of the brave.

********** To me that fellow sings better than many of those folks that I've heard sing at the superbowls.........From another post **** where from was not stated. 3rd and 4th verse's ***************

"On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"

***************** Hope that I hear it in full someday and a straight regular singing not a look at how I can twist it like some "singers" do. **********

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Update on the National Anthem

Post by 42rocker »

Lots of posts on the National Anthem on the front page of msn.com. Followed up on one of them and got the following. Official made National Anthem on 3/3/1931.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner Quote:
"The Star-Spangled Banner" is the national anthem of the United States of America. The lyrics come from a poem written in 1814 by Francis Scott Key, a then 35-year-old amateur poet who wrote "Defence of Fort McHenry"[1] after seeing the bombardment of Fort McHenry at Baltimore, Maryland, by Royal Navy ships in the Chesapeake Bay during the War of 1812.
The poem was set to the tune of a popular British drinking song, written by John Stafford Smith for the Anacreontic Society, a London social club. "The Anacreontic Song" (or "To Anacreon in Heaven"), set to various lyrics, was already popular in the United States. Set to Key's poem and renamed "The Star-Spangled Banner", it would soon become a well-known American patriotic song. With a range of one and a half octaves, it is known for being difficult to sing. Although the song has four stanzas, only the first is commonly sung today, with the fourth ("O thus be it ever when free men shall stand ...") added on more formal occasions.
"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889 and the President in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. § 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.
Before 1931, other songs served as the hymns of American officialdom. Most prominent among them was "Hail, Columbia," which served as the de facto national anthem from Washington's time and through the 18th and 19th centuries. Following the War of 1812 and subsequent American wars, other songs would emerge to compete for popularity at public events, among them "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Have a Happy Safe 4th of July..

Later 42rocker