Harbor Freight TIG welder review

Look here for sites to buy or sell something? Found a good deal or something on the web you want to share? Put it here.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

I got my shield from the welding supply. it is a el cheapo about $22.00 I spent he $$
for a gold lens and several plastic covers. the self darkening ones are trick, but you can't
see color with them. the gold ones you can and make for better vision and a better weld.
get several claer cover lenses, they are cheap and replace them when they get scratched
or distorted. You are protecting your vision so spare no expense.
vulcan762

Post by vulcan762 »

Thanks Pirate.

I was reading on Millers website that you need 125-200 amps to weld 3/16" material with a butt weld. The HF box only goes up to 130. What are the odds I can still TIG 3/16" to 1/4" thick steel with it?

I have a Bren receiver I will be welding up eventually.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

it will work fine. you don't really need that much power, I am doing a bren with mine. no problems.
xtal01

Have you tried mig instead of tig?

Post by xtal01 »

Once in a while I get lucky.

Where I last worked, they pruchased a Arco (ESAB) welder (mig, tig, stick, ... DC only machine, no high freq.). It was computer controlled (just tell it the type of metal, thickness, wire size and gas mix and it sets up automatically). After a year (and after warrenty) ran out it died. Service said it was going to cost $1500 to repair (had paid $3000 for it the year before ... about 1998) so we just left it and bought a new non-computer mig only welder (built air compressor skids).

Anyway, when they wanted to get rid of it, I took it (they kept the regulator and cables). After a year of looking at it in my shop, I took it apart and found a power resistor cracked in half. Got a new on for $10 and I was up and running.

I have really never used mig or tig (had an old ac welder for years).

So far I have only used the welder to build a railing and a dummy Suomi 31. For both I used the mig gun. It was fast and easy to use (even for an amature welder as myself).

Before I go making a "real" gun is there some reason I should not be using a mig and try to use my tig (I bought the tig handle but have never really used it yet)?

Attached are pictures of the Suomi I built. I welded the receiver together, welded the chamber of the barrel closed and then welded the barrel into the receiver (brother-in-law is a State Trooper, father-in-law was a Trooper for 36 years, they keep close watch on me ... they like to keep me "honest" ... and out of jail). It now hangs on my wall.

I still have one Suomi kit put away. I may try to figure out a closed bolt system for it at some time in the future.

Thanks .... Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colorado1919
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Colorado1919 »

Pirate
it will work fine. you don't really need that much power, I am doing a bren with mine. no problems.
I need to build a frame for a 27 model T street rod out of 3/16" 2X3" square tubing. Pirate are you sure that this HF welder has the power to weld this frame together and still be safe? Any suggestions?
Last edited by Colorado1919 on Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a WARM beltfed.

"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was." Toby Keith

Live to shoot, shoot to live.

Belt-feeders does not = bottom-feeders.
Tigerstripe

Post by Tigerstripe »

Ready to take the plunge on a new Harbor Freight tig outfit.

Is there any website or thread that has photos or a tutorial of tig welding?

I just shot myself in the finger with a Porter-Cable nail gun and I'm thinking that a welding unit
has even more potential for an ouchey. :oops:
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by salt6 »

Uh, did you look at Pirates sig at the bottom of his post?
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
fal lover

tig rental

Post by fal lover »

ok how about a tig rental ,deposit up front , plus shipping both ways , just a heads up for some of us that may need one> any ideas> thanks for looking Fal :?
scooter
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Tig welding

Post by scooter »

Would Tig welding also be the best suitable method if you had large gaps or voids to fill/weld on a receiver?

I have no previous welding experience. I was looking to purchase a welding unit, but I don't want to be limited to what I can weld and want a general all around unit for more than just welding a receiver up. I was originally thinking a mig welder was the way to go until I ran into Pirates info on here. Now I am trying to figure out the advantages/disadvantages of Tig vs Mig welding.

Thanks for all the info that everyone's already posted on here.
striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Post by striker754 »

Colorado1919 wrote:Pirate
I need to build a frame for a 27 model T street rod out of 3/16" 2X3" square tubing. Pirate are you sure that this HF welder has the power to weld this frame together and still be safe? Any suggestions?
i would not use that.