34 and 42 repo transit chests avalable

Need something to start or finish a project? Here ya go.
vik
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by vik »

joshk98k
you were worried about the chrome look on the Protec fastners...well I have a doable solution. to do away with the chrome look just get at the fastner with a sander, buffer, steel wool and scuff it up a good bit than cold blue it and it instantly turns it a nice dark color. I have tried this and it works pretty good, hell it may work without scuffy it though I have not tried.
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

Good idea! Thanks for the tip. :D
Kleist

Post by Kleist »

Blanksguy wrote:Also....would he be open to the buyer providing his own "hard-ware" to use in this construction from old ammo-boxes (?).
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
I think I'm feeling sick, the room is spinning...

Hey, can I have any left over wood?

I love those flush latches but would they be correct on something this big?
weasel_master
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by weasel_master »

Always add acid to water not water to acid.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Thank you for the answer to this potentialy dangerous question.I knew someone would know. ---bil
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

Before you go off on a box joint excursion. The box shown is modeled after the MG34 transit chests that you occasionally find floating around the marketplace. They do not have box end joints. By adding box end joints you will advertently be making it less original than the other boxes. .2 cents
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Sarin

Post by Sarin »

sorry for such a late post, but I just found this thread. I just built a transit chest for my 1919. I bought zinc plated hardware, abrasive blasted it then cold blue it with Brownells Oxpho Blue. They turned out great. I will post some pics tomorrow of the hardware and the chest. I plan on building one for my 42 as soon as I get my rec tacked together to use for fitting.

Heres the pics:
FN74

Re: 34 and 42 repo transit chests avalable

Post by FN74 »

Both of my original german ammo crates dated 1938 for 8mm ammo have the dado cuts and leather hinges and strap with buckle to keep it closed.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

FN-do you have any pictures of these? Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
FN74

Post by FN74 »

Not at the moment, I'm still in Iraq, but in about two weeks I can post pics of them. One is just like the first picture posted here by M1 Tanker, exactly, down to the label and all. If you look at his pic, you can see the latch (leather and part of the buckle).

When I get home I'll take detailed pics of both and post for ya'll. I believe that both of my crates are 8mm crates. One I think is made for export to turkey in the mid 30s. The other one is straight Nazi 8mm ball ammo crate.(like m1 tankers)

Definately would make the transit chest look more authentic with the dado cuts though.
KSH67
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Re:

Post by KSH67 »

Muriatic acid will take zinc and galvanization off. Just drop it in and watch it fizz away. You can get it at your hardware or pool supply store.
Kevin
joshk98k wrote:I have been looking at the Pro-Tex catalog and they offer 2 finishes in the Fastener’s and Catches we need. Stainless and zinc plated. I wonder if the zinc plated would look less like chrome? I am going to order a bunch and see. If they are shiny I'll find a way to dull them down.

By the way... The Pro-Tex parts I came up with are:

Fastener: 30-560 (US$3.40 ea.)
Catch: 03-502 (US $.91 ea.) OR 03-2480 (not sure which is more correct)

Hey Darivs, They even have a matching lockable Fastener in the same correct style (Part 30-1850)

:D
Thanks again for the link!!!!!!
Josh