New US made MG42 barrels in 308 and 8MM

Need something to start or finish a project? Here ya go.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

I find it interesting that some people will spend $15K and a lot more on a full auto gun and then want to skimp on the rest of it. Military barrels are out there. Buy them. You have a lot better chance of buying crappy ammo than having a barrel go bad. If you have even the slightest doubt with something safety related think about it this way. Is my life (eyesight, fingers, face, et al) worth the saving $XX???? It is ultimately up to the buyer to consider. You can buy a Kia Rio and save $35 a week on gas or drive a Chevy suburban and use twice the amount. Now think, which would you rather be in in an accident??? My life, nor my families, is worth saving the little amount of gas.

So come on let's go get drunk and find some loose women! :lol:
Blatz and hookers for everyone.
H S Arms

Post by H S Arms »

smoggle wrote:I find it interesting that some people will spend $15K and a lot more on a full auto gun and then want to skimp on the rest of it. Military barrels are out there. Buy them. You have a lot better chance of buying crappy ammo than having a barrel go bad. If you have even the slightest doubt with something safety related think about it this way. Is my life (eyesight, fingers, face, et al) worth the saving $XX???? It is ultimately up to the buyer to consider. You can buy a Kia Rio and save $35 a week on gas or drive a Chevy suburban and use twice the amount. Now think, which would you rather be in in an accident??? My life, nor my families, is worth saving the little amount of gas.
I'm not sure he is trying to skimp on the barrels, the new barrels may be a superior product to a 60 plus year old barrel, who knows what an old barrel has been through? I would rather have a new barrel than a old one if I knew how it was made and to what quality standards they used, I would also ask some of the same questions, JMHO. Harry
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

for what he is asking I think it is well worth the price, remember you COULD buy a suplus barrel and have it not work with your bolt properly so if I needed a barrel for this gun I would have no problem buyin new,

:ot: due to new import regs there is now a shortage of barrels and recievers taking shape, prices on kits with recievers went from 250 to 500 now 1100+ all in just over a year so this gun is quickly becoming like the m2hb and m60 and many other guns EXPENSIVE some of us were lucky to get in early those gettin in now are gonna be payin a premium nuff said :btt:

this man is offering a product 4 sale take it or leave it :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

8MM barrels are gone and I can't find any military blanks with a large enough diameter to make any more. I do have 308 barrels in the white with extension installed, chambered and headspaced to original German specs for interchangability in MG42,s. They are $250.00 each.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

His price is very reasonable. Military barrels are drying up.
I wasn't saying he was skimping, it was more of a general observation.
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

I would rather spend $270 for a new US made barrel,before I'd give SOG $200 for a surplus barrel.
-M60_Gunner-

Post by -M60_Gunner- »

Are these still availible?
hgosnell

Barrels

Post by hgosnell »

308 Barrels are available for $250.00 in the white. I had the park man screw up 3 barrels , fluid got past the plugs and pitted the barrels so I won't park them any more. Hank
macgyver6868

Post by macgyver6868 »

do you make the extension or just buy it?
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

Estensions are off of demilled barrels that came in on last shipment of kits into the US that required cut barrels.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

hgosnell....you really need to source out some more barrel blanks for the 8mm so you can get a run made. I really liked the quality and craftsmenship of your barrels if it wasn't for the mistake that your park guy did
when parkerizing the barrels.

TC
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

Premium 8MM blanks are almost impossible to find in a large enough diameter to make MG 42 barrels out of.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Why not make them out of the plentiful MG34 barrels? Just a thought.

TC
hgosnell

Re: New US made MG42 barrels in 308 and 8MM

Post by hgosnell »

I would make them out of MG34 barrels 'BUT' then you have a used barrel, $115.00 my cost to machine,add trunion, and chamber each one to the interchangable specs then try to peddle a used barrel for $200.00 + This doesn't add up to anything sellable! :shock:
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bmg17a1 »

The pertinent questions about US made barrels for use in MGs, especially FA are:

1. What specific alloy is used for manufacturing the blanks? What company manufactures the blanks?
2. Is the rifling to MG spec or rifle spec?
3. Are claims of durability based on testing or speculation?
4. If tested what are the criteria determining point of unsericeability?

Without the above info it is not possible to make any judgement about the quality of the barrels. Claiming that the barrels are "mil spec" does not mean anything without details on what alloys are used and what firearm the blanks were originally made for. Claims of service life of 9000 rounds in FA and 18000 for semi need to be backed up by actual testing in guns that are likely to be equipped with these barrels. Rifle spec rifling hardly lasts for a thousand rounds before it is almost gone with a number of US made aftermarket barrels made from commercial rifle barrel blanks.
I'd add that there have been brand new Steyr .308 MG42/74 barrels in the US for a long time, and prior to that there were new Rheinmentall MG3 barrels available. Surplus MG42 barrels in 7.92 have been used to fire millions of rounds in 42s for the last 60 plus years, by recreational shooters, with no problems associated with the quality of the barrels or their manufacture, so it is very surprising that posters would consider used MG42 barrels to be a potential hazard, especially for use in semi-auto 42s. There are still lots of excellent quality 7.92 MG42 barrels available.
Clearly there is a growing need for US made MG barrels, but makers need to supply accurate and complete information about what materials are being used, specs on rifling and if claims of durability are made, they need proof from live testing and an objective means for idntifying the limits of serviceabililty. This is basic info about any firearms product.

Bob Naess
Black River Militaria CII
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

I purchased a case of new Israeli 1919 A4 barrels and had a barrel maker in the area make them into MG42 barrels fully head spaced and test fired in my MG42. I'm down to about 11 or 12 barrels now. If interested in a US made barrel call Hank at 208-746-1515 Pacific time.
bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bmg17a1 »

OK, that tells all. Perhaps I missed this info above, but glad to know the source of the barrels which also explains other things.
I had hoped that you were actually making the barrels from acquired blanks, and that the blanks were of MG quality and rifled appropriately. At the moment, there is only one company that will make MG barrels to spec, or will manufacture MG barrel blanks.
There is a need for manufacture of new MG barrels rather than using up other types of MG barrels as conversions, which has been going on for years to a lesser extent, but now is being done more frequently. Converting other types of barrels doesn't change the equation in our favor and actually, with some types of barrels, creates more problems abd shortages. MG13, MG 15 and ZB barrels have been used up for conversions, leaving shooters with those types of MGs, NFa or semis without a decent source of original barrels.
Hopefully, in the near future some outfit will take up the project of making new, high quality MG specific barrels, which will help preserve the original factory ones.

Bob Naess
Cazelle
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by Cazelle »

Are there anymore 8mm barrels for sell?
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Just saw one sell for $200 and it had a feed tray and a few other items

Later 42rocker
Cazelle
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by Cazelle »

Where did you see it go up for sell? Sorry I’m new to the forum and actually new to forums in general so I’m lost. Lol