SS Reenactor needs info on making MG-34Shoot blanks

The resting place of MG34 Knowledge.
Panzercanuck

SS Reenactor needs info on making MG-34Shoot blanks

Post by Panzercanuck »

Hello Guys,
I am saving up money to buy the TNW MG-34 .I shall be using this gun to reenact.I already have a 8mm Mauser reloading dies also a blank crimper made by CH4 tool & die.I do know that the Germans used wooden bullets or some kind of paper bullet as blanks.For todays blank firing do i need the Blank barrel,etc.......

Is there somebody out there can guide me on this issue.
I will accept any info even reloading data for blanks?

Please give list of items needed for my 34 to operate properly.
Thanks guys
Panzercanuck
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: SS Reenactor needs info on making MG-34Shoot blanks

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

BPR has blank firing barrels for the MG34 http://www.brpguns.com/mg34.htm Hope this helps.

Bill :read:
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Sd.Kfz.173,

The only thing that I saw on "BRP"s web-page was the front-half of an original MG34 Blank-Barrel-Assembly......they do not have the missing rear-section.
....unless you saw it someplace that I did not (?).

Panzercanuck,
The best way to Blank-Adapt the SA34 (MG34) is with a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly. It requires less pressure to operate and that allows it to make more noise out the front and be adaptable to fire both 8x57mm Blanks and the cheaper 7.62x51mm/.308 cal. surplus Blanks on the market.

With that said.....I make and sell these 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies as fitted sets:
1: Just 8x57mm 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly.
2: Just 7.62x51mm/.308 cal 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly.
3: A fitted set with both calibers (8x57mm and 7.62x51mm/.308 cal.).
These come with additional allen-set-screw for the front-restriction.
I also sell the much needed "L"-shapped" feed-tray-spacer that you need for reliable feeding of shorter Blanks.......(NOTE: Full-Length 8x57mm Blanks are currently selling for about $60 per 100 plus shipping).

I can help guide you through the Blank-Adapting-process.........you will need about 20-50 Blanks for set-up......"but" with a "TNW" SA34, you really need to:
1: Read up on these in our MG34-Sections and pay particular attention to the "Blank-Adapting the MG34/SA34 Section".
2: Polish the guns inner working-surfaces for better operation.
3: You will need to insure that the SA34 that you buy will funtion with live ammo fired by you (not "TNW"s word)...and that the weapon fires without feeding issues.
4: The you will need to select a Blank-Adapting "system" that you will use. Again, the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly is the best way to go and more readily adaptable to a different Blanks...especially the 7.62x51mm/.308 surplus Blanks on the market.
5: TNW builds their SA34s themselves.....and as such, each one is very-different.....and a challange on their own to get to operate reliably with live ammo.
With that said, your gun may require either a longer "trigger-sear" (sold by one of our Board-Members), and/or spacing of the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly due to TNW's sear length/location. I can also help you with this.
(NOTE: We have several MG34s and several SA34s running well with these 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies....and I have a limited supply of these being machined this week.).

I have provided photos of the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrels-Assemblies that we are making for the MG34/SA34 and the MG42/SA42 below.

Last.....please direct any Blank-related questions on the MG34/SA34 to the "Blank-Adapting the MG34/SA34" Section. This will help more reenactors with information in one area.
The MG42/SA42 has its own Blank-Adapting Section under the MG42-Section.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
PS: Please contact me at my e-mail address if you are interested in a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly:
Attachments
000-0-1A.jpg
000-0-1B.jpg
000-0-1C.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Richard has all the experiance and info you will need.Extremely helpful. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

blanksguy, sorry I thought it was the whole assembly....drooling on the screen must have blured the picture. :roll:

Bill :read:
Panzercanuck

Post by Panzercanuck »

Thanks guys, :wnana:
Sorry Blanksguy for posting in the wrong slot.

But would like to thank you for all the info it was a real eye opener to say the least.Once I get my 34 I will definitely contact you.Especially after all the tests are done as you said plus all the stoning of the parts to make them smoother & function better during firing.

One last question my being a Canadian , can I still buy the two piece 34 Blank barrel from you?

Panzercanuck
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Blanksguy, You Rock. Nice barrels and nice advice in your post. :wnana:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
fourfifths1911

Post by fourfifths1911 »

richards barrels are top notch the one in my 42 works perfect i would defantly recomend him
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

The other "aid" that helps an MG34/SA34 to fire the shorter Blanks (be they made from reformed 30/06 brass, or the current 7.62x51mm/.308 cal "surplus" Blanks) is the use of the "L" shaped feed-tray spacer.

The "L" shaped feed-tray spacer keeps the front of the shorter blanks from raising up as they are pushed forward. If the "L" shaped spacer is not there, the shorter Blanks would usually keep hitting the front-cutout on the feed-tray at the top....this in turn stops the gun...and the reenactors really gets pissed.

I have attached a photo of one installed and a couple of the ones that we are having machined for sale so that reenactors can see what these look like. Please note that the new "L" shaped feed-tray spacers in the photo are only initially "milled" and will require finish-fitting which can easily be done with a "Dremmel-Tool".
It really does help...and can either be installed on a spare feed-tray with spot-welding, or with small-screws as it is made of steel to last.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Attachments
0000-0-0-0-0-3.jpg