SS K98 Bayonets

Mags, Drums, Slings, Stocks
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

SS K98 Bayonets

Post by Demontrooper »

Ok, so I have never heard of these, but here is an SS Marked K98 bayonet that is currently on gunbroker for $300. My question is, were there SS bayonets made? And is this one authentic? How to check for authenticity? And I do not want to buy it, it just peeks my interest.
Thanks!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=70027875

I have also included the pics from the auction.
Attachments
SS bayonet.jpg
SS bayonet.jpg (13.49 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
SSbayonet.jpg
SSbayonet.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 6106 times
ssbayonet2.jpg
ssbayonet2.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 6107 times
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

Send your question to oshea@hunterlink.net.au If Mick doesn't know he will know someone who will.

My bet is that these are fake for several reasons. First is that these are made from standard S 84/98 bayonets rather than the more common KS-98 bayonet. The wear on the bakelite grips doesn't match the wear of the metal, if these were presentation bayonets as the seller claims then the standard worn grips would have been changed. A bayonet with an etched blade will not have a serial number. Plus the starting price is well below an item claimed to be of this type. The seller's bogus description raises a big red flag also. There is a lot more wrong with this blade than there is right.

Another tip when dealing with auctions is to review the history of the seller as much as possible. I have looked back through this seller's feedback to see what items he normally sells and in this case nothing gives any indication he regularly deals in German military items. From what I saw he sells the typical items you see at flea market type gun shows, mostly cheap .22 cal rifles.

A very good reference is "Seitengewehr: History of the German Beyonet 1919-1945" by George T. Wheeler. Faked blades are described on page 129-130.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Thanks rottenfuhrer! That book is another one I now have on my list of reference material to purchase.

And that is what I thought about the blade too, which was why the hell does something like this cost so little? SS items are pretty damned expensive.

Ok, cool. Thanks guys for giving me a lesson about these things :D .
budp
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

SS bayonets

Post by budp »

These bayonets came out of England in theearly 70's.There are many different types,for all branches of the German military.All of them are crap fantasy pieces to fool the uneducated collectors out there.Bud
Damien Horn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Damien Horn »

100% rubbish, loads of these were produced in the 1970's, they were meant to turn the cheap old K.98 bayonet into real money which of coarse they did as the fools rushed in and bought them. I think when they appeared they were about £40 or $80. What a waste of a good bayonet.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Hmmm..... I agree. Thanks for all the info guys. You know what though, I still think that they look HOT! ok ok, so unrealistic and waste of money, but I like them. Do you know if anyone still has them around (for less then the "real" ones like the one I showed you)?
Sarge
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: SS K98 Bayonets

Post by Sarge »

Definately FAKE! Dress/parade bayonets were NEVER made from combat bayonets.
I remember when these first showed up. Lots of guys got suckered because no one knew anything about them AND unfortunately most were not smart enuf to question them being reworked combat bayonets. Since I had no interest in SS I didn't get burned.
If I could find one for $50 I'd buy it, but I wouldn't consider it for $75!
Sarge