Post your pics here.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Transit Chest picture

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Hi guys,

I promised you guys a picture of my latest reenactment gear and rifle transit chest, but as you know I'm in a hotel without a camera. However, I created a perfect computer model of the chest that is a 100% copy. So, that's what I'll post now. It took three hours to make using Lightwave 7.0 software.
Attachments
Transit Crate Rendered
Transit Crate Rendered
Crate.jpg (245.63 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
KMURPHY

Post by KMURPHY »

nice!!!
Kleist

Post by Kleist »

Looks real. Where do you get the dirty bird stencel?
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I just pulled a google image search for "Nazi alder" (Nazi eagle) and found the best example. It was printed on paper, about 8" from wingtip to wingtip. The paper was cut out with a razor blade (2 hours work) and then a light coating of spray glue was applied, then the stencil was lightly pressed to the wood and spray painted with 3 light coats of black paint. The stencil was removed and discarded and the on the wood cleaned up by scraping off bleeds (excess paint coverage). The wood was covered with Zinsser Amber Shellac, giving the wood a beautiful golden hue. The real crate is 47" L x 16.5" W x12" H. The interior will be compartmentalized for a small food cooler, and spaces for the uniform, helmet, and other equipment. The 3/4" thick wood was glued together as well as secured by sheetrock screws, which were substituted since proper slitted screws were not readily available. The top and bottom planks are 5.5" wide, and the side planks are 3.5" wide. The reinforcement planks on top, sides and bottom are 2.5" wide. I suppose I should make a similar crate for my MG-42 and lafette or AA tripod some time. Next reenactment I won't have any packing to do, just toss the crate with the firearms into the trunk and I'm off. It can be locked in case some unscrupulous non-local jerk tried to take stuff out of the tent or zeltbahnen. Total cost for the crate was about $64.00. The crate took only two days to make. You guys should make similar crates. They rock.

The eagle image file was also applied as a "diffusion layer" using Lightwave 7.0 software onto the computer model, which is also textured with pinewood textures adjusted to match the hue of the actual crate. The 3-D model is so close that it is almost a photograph quality copy. Not bad for 6 hours work. I just threw up a random sky image render behind the model as a background. I'm an experienced computer modeler, and can kick polygons around with the best of them. This model was done quickly but accurately. The only thing missing from the model is the rope handles on each end of the crate. The inside has two sets of wooden hooks at the back side for two k98 rifles. (I carry my brother's rifle for him).
Attachments
End
End
Crate2.jpg (223.18 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Bottom
Bottom
Crate3.jpg (235.71 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury