Installing that Darned Front Sight!

The #1 place for MG42 answers.
Abominog
Major
Major

Installing that Darned Front Sight!

Post by Abominog »

I'm trying to install the front sight assembly, and having quite a bear of a time. I used (what are they called?) pins to keep the assemblies together when inserted into the reciever. The rear pin made it into the sight block, but with the spring tension, the sight and block won't line up on the other side. The front pin starts to go, but binds as well. The pins start to peen, and won't go any further because they're so soft. I got the front pin out, but the rear pin is really jammed in there. They hollow, so I can't drive them out from the other side.

Suggestions please?
FNG
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: That Darned Front Sight!

Post by Bil »

Try a punch the same outer diameter as the pin-then it shouldn't matter if it is hollow.Sometimes it an alignment situation like this,I use an old drill bit the right size,it is easier to move around being too long.Or a small drift pin.After it is aligned,I slowly tap it out with the correct pin,and it follows it through.Does that make sense? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

try chamfering one end of the dummy pins this will aid in alignment when they come out.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

I made a couple of dummy pins short enought to fit inside the barrel shroud tabs to hold the subassy together and then pushed the dummy pins thru with the real pins. The dummy pins were made from HF drill bits cut off.
propos

Post by propos »

Install one of the pins through one end of the sight. Take a block of wood and put it under the other end. Use a pair of vise grips with the pincer type jaws and apply pressure. You can slip one end of the vise grips into the front shroud. Or use c-clamp. either way you will have an easier time tyring to get the other pin in. Unless you have a third hand, this makes installing the front sight a whole lot easier.
I just about pulled my hair out trying to install the front sight until I stumbled upon this method. Once I had it figured out the pins went in without too much difficulty.
I wonder how the Germans did it. They must have had some sort of jig to do the job.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Perhaps that was what they were doing those genetic experiments for-workers with three hands! :? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Thanks for the help guys. Here's what I found works (well!):

Start by assembling the sight to the sight base using a brass slave pin.

Now if one attempts to drive the sight pin in, it'll get through the sight ear and then into the base, but then the other ear on the other side will slip since it now has an axis of movement between the sight pin and the slave pin (caused by spring pressure)- meaning you won't get the pin through all the way...in fact, it will probably peen inside the assembly making it a real bear to remove.

So, I found two things of great importance to make this easy: a very small bar clamp (about $2 at Harbor Freight)and a brass punch the same size as the sight pin.

Directions:
1. Use a slave pin to install the sight on the sight base (don't forget the spring assembly!!!)
2. Remove the barrel. With the slave pin in place, drop the assembly into the receiver.
3. Use the bar clamp to push the sight & base together from the ends. This keeps them from slipping as the pins are pushed through. Don't rotate the assembly, your slave pin may fall out.
4. You should be able to push a brass punch all the way through, driving out the slave pin. Keep the receiver level- you don't want your slave pin falling out prematurely.
5. Chamfer the in-going end of the sight pins! (smart guy asks: shouldn't I have done this at the beginning? No, at this point you need a break, and need to congratulate yourself so far. Go grab a beer and admire your work.)
6. Drive the sight pin through the receiver ear and into the assembly (obviously, from the opposite side from the punch handle). Keep pressure on the brass punch- you're using it now as a backer- you don't want it to come out ahead of the sight pin, or you'll wind up with the holes being driven offset from spring pressure.
7. Do the same for the front, which will now be even easier.

Using this method, you should (with practice) be able to do it in about three minutes. Why would you get practice? Well if you're like me, when it's time to do the front you'll realize you just installed the base upside down.

HTH.
FNG