MG-3-MG42 post war tripods, quality?

The #1 place for MG42 answers.
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

MG-3-MG42 post war tripods, quality?

Post by Daskraut »

I am shopping for a post war tripod with optics and want to know the diff between H&K and Disa?. Tom says Disa welds are sloppy, good ol' Robert says all the same. What can you guys tell me from past exp.?. Thanks :D
Last edited by Daskraut on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give a sucker an even break, unless that sucker can break you in even halves!
MISTER DEUCE

Post by MISTER DEUCE »

I have one DISA and three HKs.

Here are the differences I observed:

1. The HKs have a semi glossy, darker green paint. The DISA is green but it tends more toward the flat, pastel end of the spectrum--it isn't bad by any stretch but I prefer the HK's woodland green. Imagine the HK as a darker woodland green and the DISA as "old government office building green".

2. The painted markings on the T&E were nicer on the HK than the DISA. The DISA's looked like a kindergartner painted them with too big of a brush--they were all outside the lines. The HKs had nice crisp paint, all within the markings. (I have no idea if all DISAs are like that or just mine.)

3. My DISA was pre-70's (I don't remember the exact date but it was probably in the 60's). Each of my HKs are dated 1977--each one came with a dated factory target showing the test shots.

I haven't looked at my pods in almost a year so I don't know about the welds--I never looked for that difference before.

All of them will work just fine.

p.s. I agree that $325 is a great price.
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

cool folks

Post by Daskraut »

8) you guys are A-O-K. Thanks for the info.Daskraut
gearlogo
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by gearlogo »

My mg3 pod is Made by JOWA. It's nice butI have not seen this brand around before.. I believe the post war pods are a better design than the ww2 version. The germans never make anything worse. They redesign to make it better. They removed the search fire unit from the post war pod but made the weld and machining much better. No presure on production I guess.
Abwehr

Tripod

Post by Abwehr »

gearlogo,

I have never heard of a JOWA Tripod either????

I agree with you 100% about the quality of the post war tripods; they are the best I have ever seen!
Robert @ RTG Parts

Re: Tripod

Post by Robert @ RTG Parts »

Abwehr wrote:gearlogo,

I have never heard of a JOWA Tripod either????
JOWA was the last contractor to build MG3 Pods for the German army. I have seen them dated as late as the 1990's. Since they were late production they tend to be in unissued condition (from the ones I have seen).
Embalmer
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: MG-3-MG42 post war tripods, quality?

Post by Embalmer »

Ah so thats what the disa on my tripod stood for, learn something new every day :). Mine appears to be a dark glossy green though... either way $400 for a complete one (optics, straps, battery ect) that I rate an easy 95%+ condition is a good buy. Now only if my mg34 would hurry up and get back to try it out...
BELTLEAD

Re: MG-3-MG42 post war tripods, quality?

Post by BELTLEAD »

I think all of mine are DISA's.I think they're made extremely well.I couldn't pass the deal that Inter-Ordnance had on them five years ago.$200 each including optics in good condition.I could have paid $75 each to get select condition but I didn't care because I figured they would get weathered anyway trying to drag a 50lb. tripod in the field.