42/53 feed question

The #1 place for MG42 answers.
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

42/53 feed question

Post by 1851NAVY »

I have a reweld 53 and with the 8mm feed tray, top cover and barrel in place it is almost impossible to pull the bolt back to chamber a live round. Without the ammo belt the bolt and feed parts all slide free and seem to function properly. I'm thinking it may be something binding with the feed tray or cover but I am not sure. Has anyone else run into a similar problem? Thanks.
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: 42/53 feed question

Post by waffendude »

i have not had this problem
it does sound like it is binding in the top cover----
make sure the bolt is held to the rear when you close the cover to load ammo----if the bolt is locked to the barrel when you close your top cover it will bend the feed ramp

also make sure the "pin" on the top of the bolt carrier is riding in the "channel" inside of the cover without binding
also check your recouperator --see that it moves the barrel back into position correctly and that it is not binding inside
if things move freely without the feed tray/cover in place ---then i'd say the bolt carrier is binding on somthing inside the top cover
just my .02
waffen
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Semi or full auto?

With a semi auto,when you pull the bolt back on the first round there is not supposed to be a cartridge above the bolt, and with a full auto, the bolt is supposed to already be back when you lay in the belt.

Check to make sure your pressure plate is movable. It should depress into the top cover without too much force. If it's forward of where it's supposed to be, it won't depress.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
1851NAVY
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by 1851NAVY »

I failed to mention - it is a semi.

I will have to head out to the woods with some live ammo and get to know this machine better. I checked it out last night and everything seems to function properly. Thanks for the input gentlemen.
12thWaffenSS

Post by 12thWaffenSS »

1851NAVY wrote:I failed to mention - it is a semi.

I will have to head out to the woods with some live ammo and get to know this machine better. I checked it out last night and everything seems to function properly. Thanks for the input gentlemen.
The semi auto will load and chamber differently than a full auto gun.

From what I can guess, something is wrong with you, not the gun. ;) Do NOT have a cartridge all the way to the right in the feed tray and THEN try to charge the weapon.

Let us know what you find out.