can you sell a home built gun ?

How not to see club fed.
jstrohm
Leutnant
Leutnant

can you sell a home built gun ?

Post by jstrohm »

can you sell a home built gun if you built it for your self and needed to sell it to make some money or if you don't just want it anymore?
Gene

Re: ATF QUESTION

Post by Gene »

can never sell it.
Gene

Post by Gene »

I should have said you can never sell the completed receiver.
Gene
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by URAR1004 »

You can sell a home built gun, just put your info on the arm; Name, State and City, and serial number. That's it, go through an FFL if you want to feel better. If you are going to make a habit of it get a 07.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

100% LEGAL
thoughly hashed out in earlier thread.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=4251

762x51 wrote:Just found the letter in question... See: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/building_a_firearm.pdf

Excerpt from this letter:
Individuals manufacturing sporting-type firearms for their own use need not hold Federal
Firearms Licenses (FFLs). However, we suggest that the manufacturer at least identify the
firearm with a serial number as a safeguard in the event that the firearm is lost or stolen. Also,
the firearm should be identified as required in 27 CFR 478.92 if it is sold or otherwise lawfully
transferred in the future.

Regards,
Orin
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

damn URAR1004 beat me to posting by 2 minutes. :oops:
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by URAR1004 »

drooling idiot wrote:damn URAR1004 beat me to posting by 2 minutes. :oops:
DI, I found the thread you posted but I couldn't find my way back to this thread :oops: to post the link like you did.
Gene

Post by Gene »

I am not an expert but I was under the impression you had to have a license to manufacture a firearm and pay an excise tax in order to make and sell firearms.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a7

" (A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105] "

If I am misunderstanding this post please let me know.

Thanks

Gene
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Gene wrote:I am not an expert but I was under the impression you had to have a license to manufacture a firearm and pay an excise tax in order to make and sell firearms.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a7

" (A6) Does the GCA prohibit anyone from making a handgun, shotgun or rifle?

With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts. In addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and approval by ATF. An application to make a machine gun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing that the firearm is being made for a Federal or State agency.

[18 U.S.C. 922(o) and (r), 26 U.S.C. 5822, 27 CFR 478.39, 479.62 and 479.105] "

If I am misunderstanding this post please let me know.

Thanks

Gene
You can't MAKE one for sale. However, you can make one for your own use, then later decide to sell it.

If you make a habit of it, they will get you. It is a gray area, but it is not flat out illegal. See the thread referenced above for WAY too much information.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Thanks Capt, I found another thread on the 1919 web site "http://1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57504"
That states what you said. Personally I would not want a self made gun floating around in my name on it without being a licensed manufacturer and it not being ATF approved.

Thanks

Gene
Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

Gene wrote: Personally I would not want a self made gun floating around in my name on it without being a licensed manufacturer and it not being ATF approved.

Thanks

Gene
Which is why I wont ever sell my SA42. That and the fact that I could never afford to buy another 42 kit that is buildable like mine was.
Those prices at BRP are scary. Those kits sell for what mine cost me to build!