Where do we really stand legally?

How not to see club fed.
msg1956
Leutnant
Leutnant

Where do we really stand legally?

Post by msg1956 »

OK

So I have read all the threads that talk about "maybe" using a welded receiver is legal. And I have read the ATF flip-flop threads about the whole firearm VS rifle thing.

When it is all said and done, can I weld this expensive paperweight together, slap Pirate's conversion parts on it, and stay out of jail?

It appears getting a stock maker to come up with a wooden stock would cover down on the final 922o requirements (that is if the previous letter about reworking overseas parts counts as US made still holds).

I live in Kommunist Konnecticuit, so I intended on sawing off the flash hider anyway to meet the former Gov Lowell POS Wiecker's AW ban requirements.

Damn, why couldn't I just be interested in stamp collecting!
When in worry, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Press One to continue in English, press Two to be put on hold until you can!
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

buy the new made wood grips that m1 tanker is sellin, they are 1 us part :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
mg34ss

Post by mg34ss »

Lets see,
The rebuilt receiver is one part,
Hammer
trigget
disconector ( for the AR-15 FCG )
The pistol grip asssy, is rebuilt enough to be a USA part...
So is the bolt carrier.
The shortened drive spring.
That's about 7 parts. 'Course, if you have 7 they'll want 8. I wouldn't sweat the parts count, there is enough here to get you by. If you have to, the little rod that returns the barrel to battery could be copied.
There is not a significant parts list for the SA-42. So you cannot meet the requirements.
Conneticut prisoner, Cut a cone shaped plug ( with a hole in the center ) amd weld it into the flash-hider. Should make it legal and save your profile.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

YOU GONNA MAKE CONE SHAPED PLUGS? :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

What flip-flop? I thought the BAFE had issued a letter on the "rifle/firearm" issue.

The only thing I have ever heard about re-welded receivers being illegal was by way of Brian at BRP.

Somebody who produces new made recievers claiming the "ATF says something" is kind of suspect. I'm not impuning Brian in any way, mind you. I have one of his receivers, after all. It's just that until we actually see it in writing from the BATFE, it's just hearsay. You can ask 10 ATF agents the same question and get 10 different answers.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Driving spring is not a 922 part
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Cpt_Kirks wrote:What flip-flop? I thought the BAFE had issued a letter on the "rifle/firearm" issue.
See: http://panzer46.net/mg42board/viewtopic.php?t=2018

Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

So, the bottom line is, build without the buttstock, for now?

I think between either the re-welded scrap receiver, the modified bolt and FCG we should be covered. If someone could come up with a way to produce a new, US made buttstock, even better.

Also, the ATF definition of a "Rifle" includes the phrase, "and intended to be fired from the shoulder" (emphasis mine). I don't intend to fire mine from the shoulder. I have plenty of shoulder fired firearms. This baby is going to be fired from my Layfette.
Hole_Puncher
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by Hole_Puncher »

Hey MSG
I use to live on Konnectikut, heck I was born there, but I couldn't take it anymore. I now live in a free state.
HP
propos

Post by propos »

Hang in there guys. I'm working on making a new buttstock. I'm working up a prototype now. I have a small project that I want to get out of the way right now. An RPK. Should be able to finish up this weekend. I like to finish one thing before going to the next. Less confusing that way. I've got patterns and jigs to make. I've pretty much figured out the steps to make the buttstock.
The hole in the stock is a 2 diameter hole. I can use Forstner bits to drill the holes. Then use the socket as a locator for the thru-bolt. It is easier to drill all the holes when you have a squared block. Easier to clamp up in the drill press. I have to make a jig with an indecator mark on it to make sure the two holes are properly aligned. Be nice to have a two diameter drill bit. Then the hole could be drilled in one fell swoop.
After the holes are drilled, then comes the time to bandsaw the outline of the stock. And then sand to the proper configuration. And so on. It isn't a large buttstock but it still takes some time do do it.
I looking at a couple of variations. They could be had in various stages of completion. Getting the holes drilled in the right location is the hardest part . After that, if you are handy with a knife you could carve out the rest of it.
I am doing this as a service to the board not to make money. The only cost would be material and shipping.
So here's the plan. When I complete this first one, it is going to Dan@Angola for evaluation. He was gracious enough to help me out with this endeavor. If he feels that the buttstock is up to snuff, then I will take orders for them. Just don't swamp me guys. I still have my SA-42 to build. Hopefully before the beginning of the next century.
edited to add:
my computer just crapped out on me. so if you try to contact me, I won't be able to reply until the beast is repaired.
Last edited by propos on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msg1956
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by msg1956 »

H-P

Where in the People's Republic of Konnecticut do you hail from? I was born in NJ, but raised in Norwalk. Since 1984 I have paid a mortgage on a house in Shelton.

I seem to recall someone advertising new made stocks in the past somewhere. The ad stated that they were "smaller" than the German stocks.

Anyway, I hope we can get this settled.

Intruder196
Major
Major

Post by Intruder196 »

I thought Interordnance was once offering repro buttstocks? Or were they repro mg34 stocks?
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

They offered both. However who knows where they were made. I only saw the 34 stocks listed last time I looked there.
Bullwinkle
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Bullwinkle »

I/O repo stocks are made in Pakistain by 1st graders with a chainsaw. The metal is scrap from cooking pots pounded into "shape" with a 20lbs. sledge hammer. I think Century loaned the Pakis' a few angery beavers from their factory for this operation...

Being that the stocks are IMPORTED, that will not help the parts count. Must be USA made...
Mess with the Bull and you'll get the HORNS!
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

My father-in-law has a nice wood shop. He just made me a wood bolt for a Suomi dummy I'm working on.

I've been trying to get him to try making some wood (stocks, pistol grips, fore arms) for some guns.
Hole_Puncher
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by Hole_Puncher »

Hmmm American made buttstocks that sounds good to me. In the old days they would use a draw knife on them. Luckily today we have power tools.

MSG
I am originally from Bristol. Also lived in Bethel for a while.
fal lover

Post by fal lover »

id be game for a wood buttstock, us made . also a set of m1 tankers pistol grips, come one Chris how about a buttstock to go with your grips? Bill
M1 Tanker
Oberst
Oberst

Post by M1 Tanker »

Man, I would love to make a buttstock, but I lack a duplicator :) I could do them by hand, but it would probably take me 30 hours a stock.
Last edited by M1 Tanker on Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m1-dan
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by m1-dan »

i live in CT and own a 1919a4 which is semiauto and legal here. Im over in Scotland,CT
msg1956
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by msg1956 »

M1-Dan

Good to have another Nutmeger speak up! The 1919 is a thing of beauty because:

1) It does not have a pistol grip that sticks out below the receiver

2) It was never intended to fire from the shoulder

3) It is made of almost all US origin parts

4) It is one of the easiest MGs to convert to an approved Semi

5) It is just so damned easy to build!

The above combinations keep it off the CT AWB list, legal with the Feds, and a good home project.

About the only real complaint I have about the semi A4s is that their popularity has driven the price of all Browning accessories not only thru the roof, but to the moon! Also, the Feds must be gearing up to crack down on them since they are all over now.

Safe Shooting

Jim