14.5mm ptrs

How not to see club fed.
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

14.5mm ptrs

Post by K98dkmauser »

i found a ptrs that i want to buy but i need to know what permits i have to get before i can get it
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 14.5mm ptrs

Post by JBaum »

Because it is over .50 caliber, it is considered a destructive device and must be registered as such. There are no "permits", you will need to do a transfer through ATF as a destructive device. The information on the registered owner's paperwork is copied onto the new form, with your information filled in. Send it to ATF with the fee, and wait until the transfer is completed before you take it home.

Regarding any paperwork your state wants, you're on your own for figuring that out. I'd suggest posting the question on www.subguns.com forums.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

ok thanks jbaum that 14.5 should be a real fun gun
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

I owned a PTRS for some time and never fired it. Ammo is very very hard to find, there is no safe powder in the US to reload, projectiles can be made and primers can be adapted but with no powder its a moot point. The guns won't handle the newer KPV ammo safely and ammo is not legally importable. The guns are really neat however and are basically oversized SKS's. Actually its the other way around...the SKS is a mini PTRS.

As Jon noted the gun must be registered in order to transfer to you legally. If you're in a state that doesn't allow them than you can't transfer it legally regardless. Your info says midwest but nothing more detailed. ..... DD's require DD dealers in many cases as the NFA branch has decided us low-life type 1 and 7 dealer/manufacturers can't do DD transfers anymore. If you have specific questions post them or IM and I can help. I've done a lot of transfers and I'm familiar with the guns too.....

Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

i live in minnesota here we dont have many gun laws but its cold half the year we are having a snow storm right now :( yall want some snow :mrgreen:
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

i also got a yugo sks like the one in the pic but i only ever shot 1 and a half boxes out of it :(
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

If it is too much trouble to shoot the PTRS in 14.5mm, another option may be to sub-caliber it to .50 BMG so you can shoot it, albeit with a smaller cartridge. At least you won't have to register the thing.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

im thinkin about reloading with a weak powder i tons of powder i use for shot shell and a light zinc bullet
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

K98dkmauser wrote:im thinkin about reloading with a weak powder i tons of powder i use for shot shell and a light zinc bullet

You might want to think that over again. The case capacity is huge....about 350gr of 5010 if I recall correctly. Simply putting a light zinc bullet in it won't allow you to use shotgun powder. You'll blow yourself up as the saying goes. Like I told you in the IM's its not something to be trifled with. You could create barrels for it that would allow shooting smaller rounds but the whole point of it is to have a real anti-tank rifle. I built a .50 cal barrel for mine but never finished it. The plan was to put a gas system on it and make it operate but it would require a new extractor, gasblock,tube and piston and a new bipod. I got as far as the barrel which will fit the receiver but has not been notched for the barrel retainer. The guy who bought my gun didn't want the barrel so its for sale if you have any interest....I'd still think seriously before biting a chunk off this one. Its not a toy and having Kent Lomont show me missing finger parts from playing with one of these was enough to convince me I didn't need to shoot it.

Good luck

Frank
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

the barrel would be nice but i dont have the tools to make the other parts :( :(
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

i think if i start off using 8mm case of powder and work up from there to a charge that will just cycle the bolt properly i think it will be just fine and if you still think its unsafe there is really no reason to get one
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

The problem you will have is shown by your last statement. You don't understand what the issue is. Starting with an 8mm case load of powder could blow the gun up. Less is not always better in loading and when you have enough powder space to take 300 grains of powder you don't want to drop 40grains in there. For some reason it can detonate when you do that and destroy stuff. Ask the cowboy shooters.....
Secondly you state that you are just going to work up a load that will cycle the bolt. You have no idea how much powder it will take nor do you understand that you may not make it that far without blowing something up. This is all based on you knowing what type of powder you should use and I don't think you know that either. Its not just a toss some of this and try some of that procedure. There is a very good reason these guns aren't being fired at shoots all over. There are a bunch of them in the country yet no one shoots them. Any idea why that may be??? Perhaps its because it isn't safe to do because there isn't any safe powder to use. It could probably be worked out in time by someone who knows what they're doing. You might be able to make up some solid cases with reduced capacity powder chambers but you won't be able to cycle the bolt with them. . . safely.

see part 2 below...

Hope that helps

Frank
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

I don't mean to be condescending and I hope you don't take it that way. Just realize that you can blow your face off with a .223 and 24gr of powder. Remember that smokeless powder is based on nitro cellulose and nitro glycerine. There is a tremendous amount of energy contained in these powders. When they burn it comes out evenly and we are happy. If they detonate it comes out all at once and we are damaged. Its not like cooking where you may not like the taste, its much more serious and not something to play with.

Last thing here, you can do as you wish. I'm not your mother and I'm not trying to be. I do feel its necessary to try and educate you somewhat and warn you of consequences. I've been down the road with this gun and found no reasonable solutions so I sold the gun. I still have all my fingers and part of that I can chalk up to heeding advice of those who might be missing some parts. My rule of thumb on playing with these things is to ask what my eyesight, fingers and good health are worth and what is the possibility of losing one or more of them? If you can pick up one of these guns for $4K than do it but rather than blowing up the gun and possibly yourself pass it on and make some money on it to buy what you really want. Its safer and we don't lose a member of our community (or parts of him) or a gun that cannot be replaced.

too bad we have to break up posts to fit a 2000character field.

Frank
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

alright i under stand i want to keep all my fingers to
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

i have a piece of metal above right eye from a gun
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

It's true that there is a point where less powder in a cartridge can cause a detonation that produces a pressure spike that can cause a gun to explode. The type of powder, shape of the volume of the case, and other factors which are too complex to discuss in a simple message on a forum, all affect the the burn rate and pressure curve of the powder in a cartridge. Having little or no experience, and attempting to just wing it, without safe experimentation, can lead to injury and loss of body parts. Please understand that no one on a forum can provide a guarantee that a recipe using X amount of Y powder in a Z shaped cartridge will be SAFE all or even part of the time. My personal experience in reloading is extremely limited to one or two cartridges. When you experiment with cartridge sizes, powders, and loads outside the main stream of what guys typically reload, you're taking a huge risk if you haven't created a means of safely measuring the pressure produced and consistency of the detonation. I'm talking about money spent on a testing rig, fired MANY times with an experimental load under conditions where persons are at a safe distance and protected properly from an explosion. Sounds extreme, but such proof firing was the basis for testing firearms for hundreds of years before standardization of barrel strengths and powder compositions were made. Experimentation requires a careful and well thought out approach.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
K98dkmauser
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by K98dkmauser »

im not gonna mess with it i kinda like my fingers. thanks for the info guys