Do these drums looks like postwar refurbs?

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
Panzerschreck
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Do these drums looks like postwar refurbs?

Post by Panzerschreck »

I purchsed this drum and carrier set a couple months ago and would like to know if it is original or refurbed.

The carrier is a darker green than the Yugo green. There is a hint of tan paint under a couple scratches. the carrier is marked wa 43.

The drums are marked hqu 42 and wc 43 and appear to be blued. Were any drums originally blued?

Overall everything is in excellent condition with some minor storage wear.

Thanks for any thoughts.
noonxnoon

Re: Do these drums looks like postwar refurbs?

Post by noonxnoon »

Mind if I ask where you got the carrier & about how much??

- they look great btw!
Panzerschreck
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by Panzerschreck »

There is a really nice English couple who visit the Chantilly, Virginia gun show. They are from Ryton Arms in the UK. Historically they have sold Thompson parts and I bought a beautiful 1928 Thompson kit from them.

The last time I saw them a few months ago they had the drums and carriers, new belts, starter tabs, excellent ammo cans, new condition lubricant can sets and had sold out of new condition barrel carriers. I believe I paid $150 for the set. They had some early drums with carrier that were $200 for the set.

He was talking about his shopping trips to Eastern Europe and saying the surplus was in a big cave. He would be outside and they would bring up various items for him to buy or not. He would ask if they had certain items and was told this is not a supermarket.

I was hoping to see what new treasures they would have, but did not see them at the last Chantilly show.
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

Wow - it sounds like those English folks need to crank up a web-site. One hundred fifty bucks for that set is a steal. Good score!

If you run across them again, get their contact info & post it here ... better yet, send the info to me a PM, LMAO! :cross:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I have one MG34 drum (1940) that had a blued (shiny black) finish that I found under the Yugo Paint. Paint stripper did not harm the black underneath the paint. I painted Feldgrau over it. At least the underlayment on that drum is still original and undamaged. It was the only drum I had that would not strip down to bare metal. Apparently the earlier drums were much higher quality in finish than later ones. Details like the checked area on the release latch were done much sharper and in greater detail than later drums.

You got an excellent deal for that set for $150.00. It appears that the paint was redone though. Anyone else agree?
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Panzerschreck
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by Panzerschreck »

Ryton Arms does have a website.

http://www.rytonarms.co.uk/site/home.php

There is a set(s) listed just like this one for $210.
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Wow they sell them cheaper in the USA than they do back home! The number of times I see these listed on evilbay go for over £200 is untrue. I end up shouting at the computer that you can get them for £150 in the shops, ah well a fool and his money and all that.
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

They are items that have come out of Russian capture storage, and have been refurbished by them, hence the typical Russian green of the drum mag carriers and the patronenkasten that they also sell. They are original wartime and have the stampings etc but in my view better stripped and repainted in a more correct colour. The blued drums are fine as they are, and look pretty cool/evil on MGs as they are practically the same colour and finish.... :D
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf