'Laufschutzer 34' Mg34 barrel carrier identification

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

'Laufschutzer 34' Mg34 barrel carrier identification

Post by biochembri »

I am trying to learn about the mg34 barrel carriers and the various types. I have two, one longer than the other. One has markings that appear wartime, the other has no markings. I would like to know if anyone could provide information about the various types of wartime and postwar single barrel carriers.

The website German Militaria (UK) shows a picture of various types of barrel carriers. I have the bottom two types.

http://www.germanmilitaria.co.uk/index2.htm

Brian
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: 'Laufschutzer 34' Mg34 barrel carrier identification

Post by tomcatshaas »

biochembri wrote:I am trying to learn about the mg34 barrel carriers and the various types. I have two, one longer than the other. One has markings that appear wartime, the other has no markings. I would like to know if anyone could provide information about the various types of wartime and postwar single barrel carriers.

The website German Militaria (UK) shows a picture of various types of barrel carriers. I have the bottom two types.

http://www.germanmilitaria.co.uk/index2.htm

Brian
Welcome!

if this is the picture you are refering to and you have the bottom 2. The second from the bottom is a Laufschutzer 43/1 which is made for both 34 and 42 barrel, and the bottom one looks to be a Laufschutzer 42 which is made for the 42 barrel.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Laufschutzer 42

Post by biochembri »

Yes, that is the picture. Thank you for the description. My Laufschutzer 43/1 fits my mg34 barrels perfectly. However, the Laufschutzer 42 does not fit my mg34 barrels. I have never measured the barrel lengths of mg34's vs mg42's. Is there a length difference? I am able to put my two piece barrel into the Laufschutzer 42, but without the detachable piece.

Brian
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Yes, the MG34 barrel is longer than the MG42 barrel. According to Folke Myrvang's book there are 7 differant know types of laufschutzer's. It has a great picture, but I really shouldn't post it because of copyright stuff. But I will post a picture of what I have so far.

In order of when they where offered.

First was the standard laufschutzer 34.

second- the laufschutzer 34 which was converted to take both 34/42 barrels

third- laufschutzer 42. which has stamped grooves visable longitudnally.

fourth- laufschutzer 43/1 which takes both, but has simpler production methods used

fifth- laufschutzer 43 which was introduced in Jan. 43. has longitudally grooves.

sixth- another laufschutzer 43/1 which is shorter and looks like it would only fit the 42 barrel. must be of simple production methods used? No grooves.

seventh- laufschutzer 42 which is shorter and only fits 42 barrel.

I will post pictures of what I have soon.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Laufschutzer's

Top 2 are Laufschutzer 34
2nd is Laufschutzer 43/1
3rd is a converted Laufschutzer 34. notice the attached on piece.

If it is WWII german. It should be marked in some way.

I would be interested in seeing the one's you have. I need the small 42 to add to my collection. :mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG (102.79 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG (94.22 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
IMG_1177.JPG
IMG_1177.JPG (80.3 KiB) Viewed 3653 times
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

The mg34 blanks barrels are also of 3 different lengths.See my post in your blanks barrel for more info.The UK site is great-thanks for the link.I had it once but lost it. ---bil
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

picture compairing the two barrels
Attachments
IMG_1190.JPG
IMG_1190.JPG (76.06 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Laufschutzer 43/1

Post by biochembri »

Here are two pictures of my Laufschutzer 43/1 with the markings "Laufschutzer" and 'beq". On one of the metal pieces for the stap is the marking "LUX".

Brian
Attachments
Laufschutzer 431.JPG
Laufschutzer 431.JPG (161.19 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
Laufschutzer 432.JPG
Laufschutzer 432.JPG (349.38 KiB) Viewed 3614 times
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Laufschutzer 42

Post by biochembri »

Here are two pictures of my Laufschutzer 42. The only marking is "BK/64". There appears to be two coats of paint, one outer grey-green (or olive) and the inner dark green. The discoloration on the right hand part is tape residue.

tomcatshaas, if you are interested in this Laufschutzer 42 contact me off the forum by PM.

Brian
Attachments
Laufschutzer 421.JPG
Laufschutzer 421.JPG (102.49 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
Laufschutzer 422.JPG
Laufschutzer 422.JPG (431.08 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

The first one is German. Looks like original paint! Very nice!. Is there just one layer of paint?

It looks to me a hint of red primer under a layer of original Dunkelgrau (ordnance tan)

The second one appears to be a post war 42 Yugo maybe by the marking BK.

TC
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Laufschutzer 42 and 43

Post by biochembri »

The Laufschutzer 43 had two layers when I received it. An undercoat of the yellow (dunkel gelb?) and a overcoat of dark green. But most of the dark green had been removed. I do not know if the dark green was original. But using acetone I completed the removal of the green which came off leaving the yellow. I think the german paint was oil based which is why it was not affected by the acetone which is a polar solvent. I cannot see if there is a red primer underneath. Doesnt look like it to me. The reddish tone is due to a slight amount of rust.

Yes, the Laufschutzer 42 does appear to be post war with the type of paint on it.

If you want to see more pics let me know.

Brian
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

AH, thank you for the suggestion on the Acetone! As you can see, I have 2 Laufschutzer 34's that have the post war Norweigan dark green paint on them.

Looks like I have a busy summer of paint removal, as I also just received an MG34 Lafette with some post war paint on it.

TC