New MG34 barrels (Israeli barrel locking extensions)

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
oda113
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

New MG34 barrels (Israeli barrel locking extensions)

Post by oda113 »

For anyone interested. SARCO has some brand new MG34 barrels in 8mm for $85 in their last ad in Shotgun News.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

think inter ord has barrels in their flyer also
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Buy the IZZY ones. They are chrome lines and beautiful.
oda113
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by oda113 »

These barrels are the IZZY ones, brand new (old stock) and chrome lined...at least the ones I got are. They also have a few Original German ones. Just for your information.........
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

oda113 wrote:These barrels are the IZZY ones, brand new (old stock) and chrome lined...at least the ones I got are. They also have a few Original German ones. Just for your information.........
------------------------------------------
***WARNING!!!*** Extreme Danger! Do NOT, under ANY circumstances, use the Israeli BBLS with the Israeli barrel locking extensions as they come!! There is a well known difficiency in the metallurgical crystilline structure of the steel used in the barrel EXTENSIONS (locking collars) that render them highly susceptible to shattering. The barrel tubes themselves are fine, but you MUST remove the Israeli extensions and replace them with original German WW II or Yugo locking extensions to be safe!!

This is NOT something "....to do later, next week" type of thing. There is a reason why the BBLs were held in reserve and sold as scrap metal only.. Fair warning.
Last edited by TactAdv on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Hmmmm........
Funny all the Izzy ones I have have German locking collars.
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

smoggle wrote:Hmmmm........
Funny all the Izzy ones I have have German locking collars.
----------------------------
....and they may well have, remember the Israeli's replaced either part as needed. If the locking collar extensions have identifiable WW II German markings (known mfg'r codes, WAa's, inspector markings, Adlerampts, etc.) you're fine. It is only the Israeli MADE extensions that are suspect. The presence of the IDF ownership marking, the stamp that looks like a Star of David (but is actually not) alone is not proof either way. The presence of ONLY this marking MAY be an indication of Israeli mfgr. Best way to ID them conclusively is by the metallurgical description. The German, or Yugo, metallurgy is visually way different. Take a known, good condition, German one for comparison.

The other way to conclusively proove it (was) an Israeli-made, problem and suspect, extension is to shoot it.....if it shatters in your face and damages the gun (only, if you are lucky), well, you just prooved it was one of the bad ones!! ':lol:'

The best way to handle these is to immediately exchange any collar found on an IDF BBL that is not CLEARLY identifiable as WW II German or Yugo Post-war by the presence of the known extensive markings usually found.
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

I had mentioned a warning like your's about six months ago but I was quickly shot down about it.Dave Michaels of Sarco had warned me years ago,not to use reloaded hot ammo in some of the Israeli barrels because MG34 owners were calling to complain that the Israeli barrel extensions were cracking from using hot loads.
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

BELTLEAD wrote:I had mentioned a warning like your's about six months ago but I was quickly shot down about it.
--------------------------------------------------------
...well, sometimes ignorance is contageous, but the Truth however remains finite.

The best way to learn about situations such as this is to NOT experience the defining moment first hand. This is not a speculative occurance, or urban legend, this is a well known problem and remains one of the more serious reasons the IDF abandonded the MG34 system.

As the saying goes....."You can lead a Philosopher to the Truth, but you can't make him re-Kant".
oda113
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by oda113 »

Gentlemen,

Being somewhat new to this forum, I was unaware of the possible problems with the 34 barrels that you described. Your input and information is greatly appreciated.
azcraig

Post by azcraig »

I bought some mg34 barrels from Sportsmansguide about a year ago . All but two had german bbl. extensions.
When I get a chance I will replace those two with german ones.
Can't afford to replace gun(bought in 1980) and no way to replace my eyes etc..
Thanks to everyone who posts safety warnings!!!
MG34Biker

Re: New MG34 barrels (Israeli barrel locking extensions)

Post by MG34Biker »

Are the 7,62 NATO MG34 Barrels from Ohio Ordnance Israeli, too?