MG 34 Front Site tool at IMA

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
Bossman
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

MG 34 Front Site tool at IMA

Post by Bossman »

Hello all,
are these an original accessory for the 34 ? I don't see them listed in Myrvang's MG 34-42 book.
Is $25 too high a price ??

Thanks

Roger from Iowa
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

I asked Myrvang about these and the bent extractor tool sold by IMA...he said the extractor tool was Israeli and the sight was not original, but a useful item.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

I will have to disagree with him (Myrvang) I have examined 2 of them including my own and the waffenampt
is the real deal.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

[(O)]
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

The waffenamt looks fishy...the numbers are too fat. Remember your ZB mag loader...nice eagle...just still had shiney edghes from a fresh stamp.

It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

definitly looks like a fake stamping :?
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Schnee

Fake Stamp

Post by Schnee »

The site tools were made by Norway and always have a Nato stock number on them. All of the other standard tools found in the gunners kit have also been made by Norway's army and usually have Nato stock numbers on them as well. The MG34 was in service well into the 1980s.

That stamp is not original.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Ryan, if my memory is clear a few months ago you had one for sale on Wehrmacht awards and on your site for 3 times the IMA price, didn’t you have it advertised as "original? how was yours different?
Schnee

Post by Schnee »

Dennis,

Good memory! The tool I had for sale was just like yours but without the stamp. It had the Nato number on it and after I posted it for sale on Wehrmacht Awards, (never had it on my website) I received an education from several of the MG collectors over there about the Norwegian marked tools. Learn something every day.....

IMA is known for stretching the truth on descriptions, photos and markings....

Regards,

Ryan Schnee
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Ryan
The first time they showed well like most other I was just a little skeptical.... Knowing your stuff is always a 100% and your asking $$$ I figured it had to be authentic so I order one. When I first received mine after looking it over I was a little upset cause there was no waffenampt like they pictured!!! So I let it site for couple days then decided to wire wheel the 1/8 of black messy greasy paint off poof there was the waffenampt!?!?!

Seems kind of odd it was so painted and greasy if they were faking the stamp??? After the bliss of finding a waffenampt I never studied, just assumed.
Schnee

Post by Schnee »

The one I had was not stamped. I have made my fair shair of mistakes buying and selling things. When selling I like to make sure that the item is what it is and nothing more although my knowledge on the Norwegian marked tools was lacking at the time and I had seen them before sold as German, I still have the tool. Keep in mind that the guy who possibly dunked the tool into a pot of greasy black paint and onto the drying rack was counting on your reasoning that "if it is under the paint it is original"....look at the tripods IMA sells that are suppossed to be WWII AA tripods. They are Portuguese and came into the country in the early 1990s. The stamps are fake, original markings ground off and repainted green and then the green scratched off to show the "German stamps". For what it is worth, I remember the stamps on the tripod to be rounded and fat, like the one on the tool pictured above. If I had the tool and one of the tripods together I would look at the tool marks under magnification and I would bet that they are from the same tool.

If you like the tool, enjoy it. It is useful when dialing in a MG34.
Last edited by Schnee on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Interesting note, my tool (the one pictured is not mine) has what I refer to as the stick eagle (exactly like my waffenampt zb26 mags, not from IMA) and it is marked WaA623 it does not have the "fat style" numbers. At least the fakers are using a variety of stamps. :lol:

WaA623= Steyr Daimler Puch AG, Steyr, Austria
WaA181= Hugo Schneider AG, Leipzig. Found on ammunition
Hessian
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

?

Post by Hessian »

Ryan,

Actually you sold the tool to me and you said you found it in Potsdam with other items.... I paid you $125.00 for it.

Hessian
Damien Horn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Damien Horn »

WELL THIS TOOL HAS CERTAINLY GOT A FEW PEOPLES KNICKERS IN A TWIST. I LOOKED AT THE PICTURE OF THE TOOL BEFORE I READ THE COMMENTS AND I MADE AN INSTANT DECISION THAT IF THE TOOL AND ESPECIALLY THE WAFFENAMNPT STAMP WERE ORIGINAL THEN I WOULD GIVE UP COLLECTING. HAVING SAID THAT FOLKE'S BOOK IS GOOD, BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE EVERYTHING IN IT, SO DISMISSING ITEMS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT IN THERE CAN BE A MISTAKE. ON THIS OCCASION MY GUT INSTINCT IS THAT THIS ITEM IS NOT WORTHY OF BEING CALLED ORIGINAL WW.2
D.