Converting Lafette42 trigger for Lafette 34

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
Abominog
Major
Major

Converting Lafette42 trigger for Lafette 34

Post by Abominog »

Howdy gang,

I have a jalopy Lafette 34 with no fire control parts and want at least something sort of functional.

So I took the entire FCG out of a Lafette 42. What a task! Three rivets/pins are end-peened.

Looking at John Baum's D124/2 "MG34 Lafette" it appears that the 34 and 42 FCG are the same all the way up to part #G23 Guide Piece. The only difference then would be the trigger assembly which as far as I can find isn't pictured in D124/2 but is part G22 (despite being multiple parts).

That all said, my intention is to use the Lafette 42 trigger assembly and modify it to work with the MG34 on the Lafette 34. Obviously there will be no semi/full capability on the trigger since that is not part of the Lafette 42 assembly.

I can test, play, weld, cut, test, etc. Before I start, any suggestions on dimensions, configuration, etc? Also it looks like this is going to be a bear to reassemble- any suggestions on that?

Thanks!
FNG
Blanksguy
General
General

Re: Converting Lafette42 trigger for Lafette 34

Post by Blanksguy »

You have a couple of options......but what exactly do you want to end up with (?......the ability to just fire full-auto.....or just semi-auto........or both (?).

I have to give credit to Bergflak for his photos (below) that I barrowed from his web-page on the different triggers for the MG34 Lafette. I think it is 1943 that the Germans came out with a Lafette trigger-assembly that only fires Full-Auto.........possibly build something like that for your MG34 or SA34 (?).

Another option is to contact several of the collectors in Europe to locate a "MG34-Parts-Lafette"....or the select parts that you are looking for.
Allegany-Arsenal also has some Lafette parts.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, RET
Attachments
MG34-Lafette-Trigger-Full-Auto-Only.jpg
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Thanks Richard.

This is for a semi 34, so it's one pull of the handle per shot. So either way, it's release the handle for the next shot.

I was at Greg's (Allegheny) last week picking through his parts.

The PITA is figuring out how to reshape the 42 trigger to work with the 34. The sled has to be removed, the trigger mechanism stuck in place temporarily somehow, then re-inserted, just to what- figure out that the darned thing is way off? The normal routine of change-install-test fit is a pain with the Lafette. So I was hoping somebody had done this before.
FNG
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

The "Block" that the trigger rotates on to install the weapon into the platform, should be in about the same location on the upper platform for both the MG34 and MG42.........so, if you start with a "U" shaped block that you can mount the sheet-metal-trigger on with a pin.......and be able to "space-it" with shims front and rear to make it adjustable........you could remove and attach the trigger by removing the pivot-pin. (not having to take the upper platform apart each time......just those parts that stick out on the block that activates the trigger.

Later, you can make a more permanent set/trigger.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, RET
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

The parts that you seek have been up for sale on this site and do show up on both evil bay and gunbroker.
Some of the last MG34 lafettes have fcg's that look like the MG42 lafette fcg.

\Later 42rocker