MG34/41 Lafette Found Serial #78 4th Known. Rebuild Thread Also

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG34/41 Lafette Found Serial #78 4th Known. Rebuild Thread Also

Post by 42rocker »

Well I'm happy to Officially Announce to everyone out there that another MG34/41 Lafette has been found.
In his book MG34 - MG42 German Universal Machineguns, Folke Myrvang lists 3 other serial numbers. Well this is another serial number to be added to the list, #78. note there might be others out there, but this is the list of known serial numbers at this time.
I was pleased to show it to both Folke Myrvang and Bergflak at the last Knob Creek Gunshow, 10/2017. Both agreed that it looks like another one. My partner "Avman" and I and they agree that it is a big basket of parts at this time. The "Oberlafette (Upper mount)" was intact, now apart for review and repainting. My partner and I have agreed to review and double check and make sure that everything is correct and redone and this Rare Lafette is correct and accurate. I've asked both Folke and Bergflak for their help and they both said that they would help us out keeping us on the straight and narrow.
Now this is good news for you folks also, why because we are going to post pictures of what we are doing in the rebuilding of this Rare Lafette. Now we have been looking for a few replacement parts to help us finish this big basket of parts. Wanted at this time is a Front Leg (only major part missing). It Must be an fsu marked leg! If you have one that is for sale Please let me know. pm, email or in person.

I'm going to have a couple of threads on this rebuild. One will be locked for rebuild info only. The other will be open for questions and comments and you are welcome to post in that one.
How long will this rebuild take. As Long as Needed!! This will not be a quick rebuild. We will try to post updates on a weekly basis.
Thanks to both Folke and Bergflak for their help in keeping us on the straight and narrow.

Well here are a couple of pictures to get us going.

Later 42rocker and Avman

Data on the Back plate
IMG_2133.jpg
MG34/41 statement on the slide
IMG_2134.jpg
Slide and Trigger (trigger style as used on the MG34/41)
IMG_2135.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG34/41 Lafette Found Serial #78 4th Known. Rebuild Thread Also

Post by 42rocker »

Well wanted to do this update a few days ago, but to much "stuff".
First I need to tell everyone the story of this Lafette. Several years ago while at Knob Creek I was offered a "basket case" of Lafette parts, one lafette in parts in a basket. I bought it. A trade deal was work with my partner Avman. We reviewed what was in the basket several times. In agreement that this was one of the special MG34/41 Lafette's we talked of rebuilding it. Avman was the one to make the special spot of the MG34/41 Lafette, he found that out first. Up till that point to me it was a MG34 Lafette that needed rebuilded.
Well a few pics were taken and a few pieces were taken off the Lafette and plans were being made to replace what needed to be replaced. We both agreed to ONLY replace with the correct parts. Double checking everything making sure that everything would be returned to the way that it was when it left the factory.
So here are a lot of pics that we are sharing with you. If you want to make a comment or two you are Welcome to in the other topic thread this one I'll keep locked for building info only. Which we plan on sharing with everyone.

On with the picture show.

1st This is the basic top. Note the surface color, then note the deep green color under. Look for this deep color in the other pics Please, you should see in the pictures.
59.jpg
2nd Note the color in the next pics.
60.jpg
61.jpg
62.jpg
3rd note the Date on the Back Cover. Also note the same colors and patterns on the frame and back cover.
63.jpg
Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

11/02/2017 11:45pm Eastern US time

1st Note Color again and the rivets. These are pressed at the factory, they look factory fresh to me. Used of course.
64.jpg
65.jpg
2nd Search Fire info, date is correct 1941. "cql" code for the company that made Search Fires for "fsU"
66.jpg
3rd Correct Locking Lever for 1941. Note dark green color.
67.jpg
4th Correct Turntable for 1941. Round hole as started in 1940. Note only 2 supports again correct.
68.jpg
70.jpg
Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

11/03/2017 Last group of pics, more asap.

1st Note 2 rivets only on deflector tray, correct for 1941. Look at the trigger correct for this model, 34/41. Not the normal selector switch.
71.jpg
2nd Look at the colors and patterns again. Now review back cover data and then look at the rear weapon holder, hooks are cut and then look at the "fsu" stamp and of course the WaAmp.
72.jpg
3rd Marks close up.
72a.jpg
Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

11/03/2017 More starting pics

1st Right side rivet, note colors and rivet with lots of paint, looks like it's still original.
76.jpg
2nd Lower half pics. Again look at colors and the "fsu" marking, see the detail pic.
77.jpg
79.jpg
3rd another pic showing color.
80.jpg
Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

1st Search Fire, note colors and it looks correct for 1941.
81.jpg
2nd Welded support bracket correct for 1941
82.jpg
3rd Lots of small parts removed for cleaning and painting.
83.jpg
91.jpg
92.jpg
Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

1st Left & right legs & steel arc. Everything was removed from lower frame to start cleaning and repainting. Again note color.
84.jpg
85.jpg
86.jpg
Well that was about everything that was in the "basket of parts".
Missing, Well I've bought a few basket cases, always it seems missing the front leg and pads and telescoping support pole. We have that problem and we are working on it. Need a front leg "fsu" marked with riveted pads, anyone? I might have to take it off another Lafette that I own if needed. That's a help request, Please.

2nd Telescoping support pole. Don't have a lot of info on that area and could use help on that. In the pic you should note two different types of inner pole and one out side pole. Need information and pics in this area as we want to get it right. Ok, read Bergflak review read again review learn something. We will be using the middle and lower piece. Why because reviewing etc the "fsu" has a groove cut in it. Top one goes to another pile. Now if we can find a better one?
87.jpg
3rd pic of another project of mine, restoring a 1936 "fsu" Lafette. Another time.
90.jpg
4th pic of a few spare parts, I have more small stuff not in pic. Note there are 3 front legs in this pile, none "fsu" marked, 2 are "ecy"
88.jpg
5th pic of more spare parts, ok some of you folks with eyes for details might note the Bren tripod on the bottom of the pile. The Bren tripod is a model 1 early tripod going into my collection and I hope to rebuild a double dovetail Bren to sit on it. Another day on that one.
89.jpg
Should note I own a few more Lafettes not shown, I have shared a few pics of some of the others in other threads.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

On the Lafette we have something called the "Search Fire". Well I used the "Seek and Find" method last night and found a "fsu" marking on a front leg on one of my Lafettes. Here is what mine looks like.

Later 42rocker
93.jpg
96.jpg
Another pic showing where on that leg that the marks are.
93a.jpg