MG34 to MG3 Lafette trigger problem need help.

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG34 to MG3 Lafette trigger problem need help.

Post by m4a1sof »

I have an MG3 Lafette and an MG34, I got the TNW adapter block for the barrel shroud latch, but was wondering how to modify the trigger lever to be able to switch between the lower portion of the MG34 trigger and the upper portion to have semi and full capability like the original Lafette 34 has. Has anyone done this and could you describe and maybe even post a photo of how you did it, or does anyone know of someone who makes an adapter for this. Thanks in advance.
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: MG34 to MG3 Lafette trigger problem need help.

Post by messerschmittfan »

Many years ago, Jeff Plater at Iron Creations manufactured a complete MG34 adaption kit for the MG3 tripod. It required that you change out the front of spring area with his kit and replace the MG3 trigger with one he made for the MG34. I am not sure that he offers them anymoreI have a set that I use for shooting one of the MG34's off of the tripod. I like it better than the original WWII tripod because of the flapper type remote trigger that allows you to waste a lot of rounds downrange in very rapid fire. I have never seen a reproduction of the trigger that allowed you to switch between the semi and full auto trigger on even the original tripod as the Germans quit installing them shortly after the war started. My 1939 Lafette only has the trigger for the full auto trigger location. I will try to attach a photograph to this post but since I am using an iMac I always have trouble doing it. If the photograph does not appear send me an email (h.connors@centurylink.net.) and I will send it directly. Harry
Attachments
DSC01383.JPG
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Looks like only one photo was sent so I have attempted to attach another one to this post Harry
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Try two, Harry
Attachments
DSC01382.JPG
DSC01380.JPG
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by m4a1sof »

Thank you for your reply. Wow, I've never seen that way to do the front adapter before. I went with a much less obtrusive and simple solution that TNW came up with, it's just a little metal block that fits in place of the rear bipod lever. It uses the screw used to hold that spring steel lever. Here is the web page if you want one http://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-p/mg ... x-4031.htm it's only $25.00. I went to Iron Creations web page but could not find that trigger mod. I will try emailing them. Way back in the day I had an original Lafette 34 and it had the capability to switch from semi to full on it. You just pushed or pulled a little plunger built into it. I don't have a good photo of it, I actually have only one photo that shows my whole rig. I had to sell it when I built my house. Biggest regret of any of the stuff I have sold. I've yet to see another one is as good as shape as it was even in a museum, original human hair filled leather pads and everything, even the slings were in mint condition, I bought them from Ken Keiholz around thirty years ago. Anyway my house is paid off now and I started looking to replace it but the prices have gone through the roof, especially for the MGZ scope I had on it, and none I've looked at were even in close to the same condition, so I've decided to go with the MG3 Lafette as it comes with a scope and is much more reasonably priced plus I was able to find one brand new still in the box. But it would be nice to have that same capability to switch between the upper and lower part of the trigger. It looks like I will need to come up with something custom made. Thanks again for your reply and the photos. I read on another board that the red painted metal doohickie between the spacer and the springs on the MG3 Lafette is only to be used when firing blanks, it should be removed if firing live ammo, have you heard this? Makes sense as it is painted red like all other blank firing devices I have seen.
Attachments
TNW adapter
TNW adapter
My old setup.
My old setup.
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I also have the adapter from TNW to mount the MG34 on the MG42 or Post-War MG3 tripod but liked Jeff's adapter better. The one from TNW requires that the rear bi-pod retainer spring be removed as since I also use my MG34's off of the AA tripod and the Kuebel I decided on the one from Jeff. Thanks for the input Harry
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I forgot to answer the question on the red plate, I also believe that it is for blanks but have never checked the manual to see, but I like it as it causes all of the empires to dump in just one place instead of bouncing all over the place. Harry
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by m4a1sof »

That's the same issue that concerned me as I have an AA tripod as well. I am planning on milling a clearance slot down the bottom middle of the adapter so I can install it over the retainer clip. I'll post back if that works.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The MG3 lafette manual says the plate is for deflecting empty shells rearward. It makes no mention for being only for shooting blanks.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by m4a1sof »

I would think the bright red plate was used for blank ammo. It appears it acts like a shim to enhance/simulate recoil while using blanks in training. Hence the bright color (as a reminder) that these plates should be removed for combat/live firing. Of course I could be wrong, but why the bright red or orange paint in a combat situation? Seems really odd when the rest of the tripod is OD. Also, all the photos I've seen of actual German army troops firing it with live ammo show the plate removed. Video quality is not very good but I don't see the plate in this instance anyway: https://youtu.be/yDhT8dVdF3Q
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I think the red deflector piece should be removed after watching several films of the MG3 being shot off of the tripod by Bundeswehr Soldiers. All of those tripods had the deflector piece removed. I will dig the manual out and verify. Thanks Harry
maddog51
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: MG34 to MG3 Lafette trigger problem Reply to m4a1sof

Post by maddog51 »

m4a1sof wrote:That's the same issue that concerned me as I have an AA tripod as well. I am planning on milling a clearance slot down the bottom middle of the adapter so I can install it over the retainer clip. I'll post back if that works.
Have you done this already? Would like to see pics.
Milling was my first thought, but in doing so you would lose most of the screws seating shoulder on the adapter. I've then thought after milling the slot, of having the rear of the spring with the second hole that you would use with the adapter to be welded to the adapter, this would make one part, Spring & adapter.Thus using the spring's hole to attach to the MG. Unless you have the tools, milling machine, mig welder & etc. It would have been a nice set up with some sort of tool to release your spring with AA adapter applied.
Well after finishing my bottle of wine, I had another brain fart. Tools: bench vise to bend,with hammer. Table vise to use with small bench drill press and drill bits plus threading taps. Grider & files to finish off.
Pics to follow, would like to see what you have done if any with your milling.
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by m4a1sof »

jbaum wrote:The MG3 lafette manual says the plate is for deflecting empty shells rearward. It makes no mention for being only for shooting blanks.
John, just got your manual in the mail, thanks for the fast shipping. There is a whole page devoted to the plate in question, look at page 38 paragraph 2.1.2.5. It says if your shooting blanks to check that the plate is installed and though not strictly necessary it is preferable to remove it if firing live ammo as with blanks it sometimes prevents the empty's from being ejected from the gun. I am assuming because bank empty's are longer than live empty's.
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Re: MG34 to MG3 Lafette trigger problem Reply to m4a1sof

Post by m4a1sof »

maddog51 wrote:Have you done this already? Would like to see pics.
Not yet, I like your idea, I may do it like that as well.
maddog51
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by maddog51 »

I got the camera charged and took some pics.
Attachments
lafette 53 AA extention.jpg
AA adapter closed.JPG
AA adapter open pos..JPG
AA adapter set-up on AA tripod.JPG
AA adapter detached from MG.JPG
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by m4a1sof »

I emailed Iron Creations and they said they don't make that trigger anymore, so I grabbed a hacksaw and somehow by blind luck I came up with a super simple solution that allows the MG34 trigger to clear the MG3 trigger paddle AND have both semi or full auto operation. The critical thing is the distance to cut back the stock MG3 Lafette trigger paddle (this is where the blind luck came in as I was initially just trying to get it to clear the trigger when you place the gun down on the tripod). I took a dimension from the farthest forward (toward the front of the pod) edge of the paddle (the tangent line of the radius) to the face of the cut and it is 0.27 inches. If you locate the cut here, it operates in such a way as to when you first put the gun in the tripod the paddle grabs the trigger in the semi-auto position, if you want to move it into the full-auto position you move the trigger slightly to the rear and push the paddle down and it will fall into the full-auto position and is kept there by the tip of the scallop on the trigger. To put it back into the semi-auto position just push the trigger slightly to the rear and it will snap back up into the semi-auto spot. Works like a charm for me. The reason this works out so perfectly is the forward tip of the double scalloped shape of the MG34 trigger acts like a detent for the face of the paddle to catch on when you put it in the full auto position, it wouldn't work on a normally shaped trigger. The reason that dimension is so critical is if you cut it too long it won't automatically clear the trigger and you wouldn't have any take-up on the trigger, if you cut it too short it won't catch on that projection of the half moon trigger to hold it in the full auto position (but it appears you could fix either condition by grinding more off it if it's too long and by shimming between the paddle and the tripod or adding some layers of Talon Grip tape or equal material to the front of the paddle if it's too short). I like the look of the modern tripod combined with the old school machined steel beauty of the MG34, plus of course it's way cheaper than an original Lafette and scope. The only disadvantage is you don't have the quick change barrel feature of the original Lafette, but since I'm not faced with human wave attacks on the Russian front that's not a major concern. I just take it off the pod to change it. Anyway it worked for me, but as always YMMV.
Old school on modern
Old school on modern
Cut off paddle
Cut off paddle
Semi position
Semi position
Full position
Full position
m4a1sof
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by m4a1sof »

Finally found some photos of the original Lafette full/semi trigger paddle I referred to in my first post.
Attachments
Here is the top view looking toward the back of the pod.
Here is the top view looking toward the back of the pod.
This is a view looking up from the bottom, note the plunger, you either pushed up or down on it to set it for either semi or full.
This is a view looking up from the bottom, note the plunger, you either pushed up or down on it to set it for either semi or full.