MG34 Sling correct?

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG34 Sling correct?

Post by Franz20 »

Can anyone confirm if this is an accurate WW2 MG-34 sling?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-WW2-GERMAN ... 4ad41ae041

I bought a sling from Atthefront.com recently and I despise it. It's too short according to original photos and an original my friend showed me, the pistol clip part broke off. (My 34 nearly killed my assistant gunner as he was still prone and as I was unloading the gun it swung down). I bought one of these bulgarian looking slings (for $20.00 months ago) and I was wondering what that marking meant. Are these period correct for a 34? Were they used?

Anyone have anymore info on these?
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: MG34 Sling correct?

Post by Tommygunn »

It is post war, Yugo, MG42 sling deceivingly decorated with fake German markings! Nothing to do with WW2. The main giveaway is the snap hook for the barrel jacket and the use of an adjuster buckle rather than the German fixed length, split strap with padded out hand grip sections.

Tom.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

If you look at the stamp, you can see the circle of the stamp around it. The Germans didn't make their stamps this way. They were fully ground off so that there wouldn't be a secondary impression (square or round) around the actual stamp. That's the most obvious sign that the stamping is fake is if it has an impression around the stamping.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Franz20 »

Ahh ok thank you guys!

Does anyone have any measurements of their original German slings? I'd like to compare with my own measurements. I want to measure twice and cut only once. (as the saying goes).

Thanks again.

Frank
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

No problem, I'll sort some measurements out for your later on.

Tom.
MP44
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by MP44 »

The hardware on their Lafette straps is terrible also.
I looked at at set they were selling at GAP1, I had them take a set out of its brand new wrapper and the latch was already broken.
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Frank,
Here are some measurments I've taken from my MG34/42 sling, note name as an MG34 sling will not fit the pistol grip attachment point of a 42.
I have measure the unstretched length of the strap, that would appear to have been on the outside during carry, as I think that would be more true to the factory spec.
Here goes:

If you would like any finer measurements just let me know.

If anyone is interested the sling is 'erg', WaA640, 1943 sling. Codes for A. Döppert, Treibriemenfabrik (drive belt mfr), Kitzingen. The Waffen is actually stated in documents as '41 and '42, I don't know if that has any significants since my sling is marked '43. Ideas?

Tom.
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Frank, please right click each photo and open in a new tab or window to see all the info.

Tom.