mg34 battery box questions including pics

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

mg34 battery box questions including pics

Post by biochembri »

I just purchased a mg34 battery box from Alleghany Arsenal. Here is the original ad:

"MG-34 / MG-42 Lafette Battery box for illumination of optical site (No site or cord) Box is in very good condition with only some minor paint scrapes. Like new interior and has the ORIGINAL fiber insert that holds the battery which is almost always gone when you find these. Waffen ampted. $145. "

The box appears to have three layers of paint. A red primer, a second yellow and a third exterior dark green.
I have four questions:
(1) Is this an original battery box?
(2) How should the batteries be inserted?
(3) What is the center brass piece extending from the top of the lid?
(4) Do you think the exterior paint is postwar or original?

Here are the pictures.

Comments welcome.

Brian
Attachments
Battery Box top
Battery Box top
mg34 battery box pic1.JPG (119.85 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Battery box front
Battery box front
mg34 battery box pic2.JPG (242.59 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Battery box side
Battery box side
mg34 battery box pic3.JPG (357.06 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Battery box side2
Battery box side2
mg34 battery box pic4.JPG (224.5 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Battery box bottom
Battery box bottom
mg34 battery box pic5.JPG (271.7 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
Battery box inside with insert
Battery box inside with insert
mg34 battery box pic6.JPG (551.94 KiB) Viewed 2234 times
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Battery Box pics part II

Post by biochembri »

Here are the last pics of the battery box I posted pics of previously.

Brian
Attachments
Battery box inside lid closeup
Battery box inside lid closeup
mg34 battery box pic7.JPG (384.53 KiB) Viewed 2229 times
Closeup of bottom with insert
Closeup of bottom with insert
mg34 battery box pic8.JPG (369.6 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Closeup of bottom without insert
Closeup of bottom without insert
mg34 battery box pic9.JPG (468.92 KiB) Viewed 2228 times
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

The box is an original wartime german box. The box has been converted, postwar, to take a newer style battery. It's hard to tell if the paint is original or not.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
CRA

Post by CRA »

Hmmm... looks to be a original late war tan battery box that has had the outside repainted.
Cant be sure if the paint overcoat is wartime or yugo. Reminds me of some tan wartime barrel carriers ive seen that have had dark green yugo repaint.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Response to Battery box review

Post by biochembri »

I was afraid it had been postwar converted as it did not match any other originals I saw. Thank you for the valuble input. If any one else has any comments please let me know. I feel as though Alleghany Arsenal misrepresented the item. I requested a picture from them before buying and they just sent it off without the picture. I dont know how difficult they will be to deal with.

I realize identifying paint from pictures is very difficult. I think it is postwar paint. The real test is this. Use acetone on a small area. If the top layer comes off easily it is likely postwar. When I stripped my barrel carrier it had postwar paint and the dark green easily came off leaving the german original yellow paint. The german paints dont seem to react with polar solvents such as acetone.

Brian
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Response from Allegheny Arsenal

Post by biochembri »

Here is the email I received from Allegheny, I am dissapointed with this type of business practice. My mistake was writing an email saying I "would" like to purchase this item instead of "interested".

Brian,
Below please find a copy of your original email along with our reply. In it I have highlited were you very clearly state that you wish to order this item. You do not state that you would like picture's before placing the order.
Additionaly, these are as discribed and in the condition that we advertised. They are original and have Waffen ampeted on the inside of the box, the interior is like new with the ORIGINAL fiber insert. Outside condition is very good with minor scrapes. etc..
However, if you would like to return this Item you are welcome to do so.
Our return policy as posted on the order page of our website:
RETURNS: All returns must be accompanied by a Return Authorization Number. You may call during normal business hours for a number. All returns must be prepaid. We will pay shipping charges and offer a refund or a credit if we are: A.) Negligent in shipping the wrong item. B.) Have not described an item or condition correctly. If the reason for return is not our fault, the buyer is responsible for shipping charges both ways and can be assessed a 15% restocking charge. We have a return rate of less than one half of one percent as such we describe our products accurately and truthfully.
Your return authorization # AH42, please print this on the outside of the box.
We have shiped you the item you asked for and in the condition advertised, therefor you will be charged the 15% restocking fee.
Sincerely,
Allegheny

Thank you for your order. Your total with $8.00 Shipping and handling will be $153.00. It should ship out in 3 to 5 business days and will be delivered by Fed Ex Ground.
Allegheny
----- Original Message -----
To: Mg34@mg34.com
Sent: Friday, March 16, 2007 10:31 PM
Subject: MG-34 / MG-42 Lafette Battery box

ALLEGHENY ARSENAL, INC.;

I am interested in the following item.

"MG-34 / MG-42 Lafette Battery box for illumination of optical site (No site or cord) Box is in very good condition with only some minor paint scrapes. Like new interior and has the ORIGINAL fiber insert that holds the battery which is almost always gone when you find these. Waffen ampted. $145."

I would like to purchase it using my credit card if possible. Do you have a picture of this item?

Thank you,

Brian
----- Original Message -----
To: mg34@mg34.com
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2007 2:07 PM
Subject: Battery Box

Allegheny Arsenal;

I received the battery box I requested pictures for. I did not receive the pictures before being able to approve the purchase although I did include my credit card information. The price I paid for the item was about three times the normal rate because I thought I was receiving an original good condition box. The box has been postwar painted and converted. I would like to know what your policy is on this. Since you deal with this type of equipment you should have noticed this item was not in its original condition and the paint was redone. It should have been described as such.

The invoice I received has account # 4768-0317-02666B.

Brian Abela
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

It definatly falls within a grey area of shameful advertising. They did describe it as it was, but in turn, they left out enough information for the item to be misconstrued as original. In addition, the price reflected an original unmodified piece, this of course was not. I am curious as to what he means by the fiber insert. He even left it vague concerning the insert....he could have been talking about the bakelite inner or the postwar insert...

I've found the Allegheny owner to be a bit of a jackass (can I say that?) when it comes to returns. He trys to bully you into keeping the item you're unhappy with.

Looks like your only recourse is to:

a. Return it at a loss, and leave a bad review in our review section.
b. Keep it, you may be able to remove the battery holder and return it to original config....with a hole in the lid of course.
c. Return the item and call your cc company and tell them to reverse the charges.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

You could also try to talk to them on the phone-I have always had good luck with them,but I also have never had anything I wasn't satisfied with.So it may be differant.It can't hurt to try. ---bil
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

He is just as confrontational on the phone as he is in email, and finally in person. As long as you are not returning something, or question items he has mislabeled at shows, then he is ok, albeit standoffish.
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Battery Box

Post by ChrisPCook »

Sorry to bring even more bad news, I picked up a real nice one from ebay Germany about a month ago, with S&H it came out to be about 55$. Chris...
7,92lover
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by 7,92lover »

one battery box on sale now in Germany:

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=1278308

The seller says that the paint is original and inside you can see original ink stamps (but don't show it).

7,92lover
(I am not the seller)
Wondering
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Wondering »

I can confirm much of what has been said above but I think that there is a silver lining to this.

I have one of these exact battery boxes from Alleghany, in addition to unmodified metal and leather boxes. In my opinion, this is a WWII box which has post war paint and the installation of a modified battery insert. Here is my take on it: you paid on the higher end of the scale for a bare box and it has been modified post war for a different type of battery. BUT, you may in fact come to really appreciate the post war battery set up.

The cardboard/fiber insert with brass leads and the brass retaining arms on the lid are the post war mods. Instead of using three European 4.5 volt batteries as original (which have to be special ordered here in the States), you can now use two D cell batteries to run the light. After cleaning a little surface rust off the rivets to the leads, two D cells worked like a charm in my modified box. For convenience alone, it's nice to have that set up if you ever intend to run the light.
Wondering
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Wondering »

And to add to my post:

From the looks of one of your photos, I think I can see the same type of rusted rivet on the fiber insert as I experienced. All it takes is a couple minutes with a dremel and brass wire brush bit. Once you clean the surface rust of those rivets, they will make good contact with the brass plates on the inside walls of the box.

Battery configuration: The D cells lay flat, oriented left-right so that the ends interface with the rivets and leads. Figure out which side is positive, and simply insert the batteries in the proper direction.