mg34 Bipod Question

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

mg34 Bipod Question

Post by biochembri »

I have two bipods. Neither of them have the adjustment nut between the two folding arms. Are these late war, post war? How does it function correctly without the adjustment nut? This has been puzzling me as I do not recall seeing wartime pics with bipods that do not have the adjustment nut.

Brian
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

If they are stamped they are war time. There are some tube-style ones that are post war. These were fitted by the Czechs I believe and also used by the Israelis.

All the adjusting nut does is allow you to have a lower profile on the gun when it is set up. It is not necessary, which is probably why they ommited it, to save on machining steps. Both were probably made 'til the wars end.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

mg34 bipod

Post by biochembri »

I just checked my two bipods and after carefully looking them over did find wartime stamps on them. One had a date of 1943, the other no date. So there are wartime bipods without the adjustment screw.

Thanks for the clarification.

Brian
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: mg34 bipod

Post by tomcatshaas »

biochembri wrote:I just checked my two bipods and after carefully looking them over did find wartime stamps on them. One had a date of 1943, the other no date. So there are wartime bipods without the adjustment screw.

Thanks for the clarification.

Brian
Yes,there is. I have one dated 43, I believe without adj. screw. Here is a picture of one dated 43 without adj. screw on IMA web site.