mg34 two piece barrel

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

mg34 two piece barrel

Post by biochembri »

Since the previous thread was very helpful I wanted to ask another question relating to mg34 barrels. I have three barrels. Two are the single piece and one is the two piece version. I would like to know about the history of the two piece versus one piece barrels. Another thing is my two piece barrel has been tapped for blank adaption. Is the two piece a postwar version?

I checked the FAQ and search engine but didnt find anything specifically about this topic. If I missed it, please link me to the information.

Thank you,

Brian
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

In Myrvang's book,page 324,there is a picture of 3 mg34 blanks firing barrels,and 1 mg 42 blanks barrel.If you could post a picture it would help. In case you don't know,the book I am refering to is called'MG 34-MG42 German Universal Machineguns',by Folke Myrvang,of Norway.This book has about as much info in one spot as anywhere else.Outside Jbaums head ,that is.Although it is relatively expensive [@$80],it is well worth it. production numbers,variants,markings,experimental guns,it is all in here.Also the above mentioned Jbaum,whose books are for sale here in the site,actual translations of original German manuals.Not trying to avoid the question.More info for you,and if you post the pic I think we can help more.Good luck. ---bil
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Bil,

OK, I don't mind looking stupid -- cause most of the time I AM stupid :!:

What IS a two piece barrel? I've seen references to them but no pics or discussion. What are they used for?

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

The 2 piece barrel was used strictly for blank firing. It is not intended for or safe to use for live ammo.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
biochembri
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

mg34 barrels

Post by biochembri »

Pictured below are the three barrels I own. The first two are live fire barrels and the third is a late type blank firing barrel. Note the piece that interacts with the bold is slid out to show it is not directly attached. The blank fire barrel also has threads.

The second and third pics shows a closeup of the three barrel ends.

The first barrel has the following:
S
P
DOT-40
5 WA on the barrel and 2 on the connector

The second barrel has the following:
there is a small star shape and 2 BK? markings
0 WA on the barrel and 2 on the connector (and AGB?)
A reworked barrel???

The third barrel (blank):
two CNX
hth
3 WA
1 WA on the barrel and "BB"

Reichpapers, thanks for the blank barrel warning.

Brian
Attachments
Pic 3.JPG
Pic 3.JPG (298.33 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Pic 2.JPG
Pic 2.JPG (315.65 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Pic 1.JPG
Pic 1.JPG (234.79 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
TMANNN34

BARRELS

Post by TMANNN34 »

All your barrels look, and are marked to what I am near certain are all original.
TMANNN34

barrel#2

Post by TMANNN34 »

Oops-forgot to add the star shape on barrel #2 is almost certainly an Isreali barrel(these are czech made usually-DOT marked) The isreali's stockpile was mostly from the DOT factory,made during wartime.