A New Slings Thread For The Post-Crash Forum

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
joe6167
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

A New Slings Thread For The Post-Crash Forum

Post by joe6167 »

Since most threads were devastated by the past couple of crashes, and after all the other threads I started in the past 2 years were lost, I figure I will risk starting a new thread, focusing on slings.

I decided to find a split sling to replace the Yugoslav sling on my M53 and after some searching and comparing what was available to me, I ended up acquiring what Bergflak identifies as:
This is a Spanish postwar MG42/MG3 sling. Good resemblance, but has a special front buckle with a washer. Rear buckle has no spacer ring but is wider all over. Grip handles have padding.

https://www.bergflak.com/Mgrem.html
Description, Strap: The strap is 1" wide and the overall length of the sling is just under 29". The grips are padded with something...

Description, Buckles: The rear buckle appears to be a single piece casting. The front buckle has a washer that the carabiner seems to be formed around (as opposed to being welded or brazed together), while on my sling the carabiner is installed backwards, from the way it is on the German buckles (in relation to the flap around the ends of the sling). Note that in Bergflaks example, BOTH buckles seem to be to the wrong orientation, in relation to the end-flaps.

Markings: The front buckle is stamped with what could be either "FAUERS" or "FADERS". No other markings or proofs to be found.
IMG_6500.JPG
IMG_8514.JPG
IMG_8516.JPG
IMG_8518.JPG
I must say, "split sling technology" is much superior to "non-split sling technology" when it comes to carrying the MG42! Now the gun is actually balanced in your hand, when using the sling as a carry handle. The gun is so unwieldly when using the non-split sling.

As well, the narrower wire buckles on the front also don't get caught in the bipod to the same extent that the wider Yugoslav buckles do.
IMG_8524.JPG
IMG_8526.JPG
Last edited by joe6167 on Thu May 06, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe6167
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: A New Slings Thread For The Post-Crash Forum

Post by joe6167 »

Also, some additional commentary on Bergflaks article:

He has a photo of an MG34 being carried as a "heavy submachine gun," with the sling around the soldiers neck. This couldn't possibly have been done with the MG34/42 Split Sling, so I wonder if the soldier just repurposed, for example, an ammo can sling.

Last edited by joe6167 on Thu May 06, 2021 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
joe6167
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by joe6167 »

I also discovered that a number of militaria shops seem to be offering virtually the same replica sling. Upon closer inspection, the rear buckle seems to be fabricated from a bunch of separate pieces, which seems a bit dodgy, and the front buckle has nothing to hold it in its orientation, like the real slings do, so I opted to go for the "Spanish Post-war sling", which seems to be of much more rugged construction.

The front buckle seems to have some marking on it, while the sling some markings, which I presume to be replica German markings, on it.
sling.png
sling1.png
Sling2.png
Sling3.png
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

joe6167 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm He has a photo of an MG34 being carried as a "heavy submachine gun," with the sling around the soldiers neck. This couldn't possibly have been done with the MG34/42 Split Sling, so I wonder if the soldier just repurposed, for example, an ammo can sling.
It's very comfortable to carry the 42 with the split sling in that manner. Unhook it from the grip and put the loop around your neck and arm. the buttstock rests on the tool pouch and is easy to carry in "assault mode" with the belt drum attached. A little practice and you can just pivot and fire, without needing the sights to aim.

MG3 slings are pretty close copies of the wartime MG42 slings. I had 15 or so that were like new that I got from eastern Europe years ago, and sold them all except the one that was completely new/unused. I forget which manual it's in about the different ways to use the sling. After 200+ manuals, it's hard to keep the information locations straight.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
joe6167
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by joe6167 »

JBaum wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:12 pm
joe6167 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:28 pm He has a photo of an MG34 being carried as a "heavy submachine gun," with the sling around the soldiers neck. This couldn't possibly have been done with the MG34/42 Split Sling, so I wonder if the soldier just repurposed, for example, an ammo can sling.
It's very comfortable to carry the 42 with the split sling in that manner. Unhook it from the grip and put the loop around your neck and arm. the buttstock rests on the tool pouch and is easy to carry in "assault mode" with the belt drum attached. A little practice and you can just pivot and fire, without needing the sights to aim.

MG3 slings are pretty close copies of the wartime MG42 slings. I had 15 or so that were like new that I got from eastern Europe years ago, and sold them all except the one that was completely new/unused. I forget which manual it's in about the different ways to use the sling. After 200+ manuals, it's hard to keep the information locations straight.
I'll give it a try.