MG Z 40 Optics help

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
heebee
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG Z 40 Optics help

Post by heebee »

Hello all, I am new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have an MGZ40 optical sight, in good external condition, but the optics are very murky and it required cleaning. I have read the MGZ40 rebuild thread and have found it very useful:-
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=6856

One issue I have with the sight, is that looking through the ocular, the view and reticle appear angled, about 20-30 degrees. Does anyone know how this can be adjusted as I can't for the life of me work it out?

Thanks, Richard
Blanksguy
General
General

Re: MG Z 40 Optics help

Post by Blanksguy »

heebee,
Is it that the optic-view appear angled (?)..........or is it that you have the elevation angled (?).

Please post a clear photo of what you are referring too.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The view is angled because whoever had the top off the scope didn't put the inside assembly back in right. It isn't hard to get it one tooth off, if you don't know about it to start with.

It is off alignment where the ring gear connects to the windage knob worm drive. Take the top off the scope (4 screws) and reset the mechanism to straighten the view. With the windage drum set at 0, put the prism on straight (aimed exactly forward) and engage the gear. This may be easier with the clutch release lever held forward/down until it is in place, then wiggle a little as you release the clutch lever to engage the gear teeth. Look through the eyepiece and see if the image is vertical. If not, do it again. It can't be off even by one tooth, or the view is tilted.

It's a simple fix.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
heebee
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by heebee »

That's great, thank you very much for the advice.
I am work all week, but will attempt to re-align the sight this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Thanks, Richard